• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4770k IMC is Aida64 enough????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I just picked up an i7 4770k and following the guide I have it at 4.7G. Here's my issue, It was stable with Aida64, I tried to start up F@H and it crashed so I went back to stability testing and upped the Vcore and cache voltage, then I ran Aida again for 6.5 hrs

4700 636.JPG

This morning I thought I would try P95 and it didn't last 30 seconds before a blue screen. So coming from AMD and knowing how a finicky IMC works I upped the volts to the cache a bit again. This time P95 just quit with no blue screen so I'm on the right track.
Two questions how high can I go with the IMC voltage and still remain within "limits" or should I just drop my ram speed and be done with it??
I'd really like to use this 2400 ram so I'm going to try the voltage route first.
Thanks Johan45

Last edited:
2400-2600 should work at stock IMC voltage.
If you get 124 blue screen then it's or too low voltage or too high temps and I doubt it's IMC.
Not many 4770K can make 4.5GHz 1.3V and I see you have VID to 1.318V at 4.7GHz ... can't see any info about full load voltage as 0.97V is idle one. Best if you turn off C states for oc and set high LLC.
You can always set memory to 1600 9-9-9 and run all tests to check if it's something memory or CPU related.
If you test memory and IMC after OC then HyperPi 32M is a fast way to check it.

Thanks woomack, this new bios is a bit different for me. I thought I had all the powersaving stuff off. That is full voltage AFIK and the LLC works kind of sifferent on this board I have found it's better sidabled unless I'm missing something. The temps should be fine that SS was taken while running and max wad mid 80's. I'll check the bios for more power options. Also all the different volt readings are a bit confusing. When I increase the VID the V_Core reading never increases. Is that normal or am I missing something.??

Ok well I've finally gotten somewhere with P95. Aida shouldn't be a recommended test IMO. In part yes since it does stress the CPU but the whole package ... not even close!! Maybe my sample has a weak IMC I don't know but Aida ran at 1.32v for 6.5 hours not a problem with my 2400 memory. P95 I'm up to 1.43 VID maxed out the fixed voltage dropped the memory to 1866 and have the cache up to 1.34v and finally managed 30 minutes.
Am I missing something with these chips or are their IMCs just that weak? We always recommended P95 blend when testing AMDs just because of the IMC it had to be tested just as musch as the CPU itself.
I dont have a cpu-z in the SS but it's the same 4.7 aside from the memory at 1866 9-10-9-28 .

4700 prime 30.JPG

I would try looking at the Temps with Realtemp and use CPU-Z as looking into what you have posted 100c is too high if its correct. With P95 on Intel you can use 8 workers and Small FFT's to check out your CPU + Voltage if its to low it will crash, if your close it will last maybe 5 to 8 mins and then go. You really Johan want to aim for Temps around 80c to 85c Max using P95 if you can buddy. And do not give the CPU too much Vcore or you could kill it or at least shorten its life.

1, http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

2, http://www.filehippo.com/download_cpuz/

AJ.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Ajay but the temps are just spikes, the AIO doesn't handle those very well, needs a coule more gallons to do that. I think small FFTs and Aida are pretty similar they only really stress the CPU. The blend test puts a lot more pressure on the whole package and at the same settings that I finished 6.5 hrs of Aida64, F@H crashed and so would P95 blend and hard. See fol at home is running now but the voltage increase is quite large compared to Aida and I'm running 1866 instead of 2400. I just don't think that Aida 64 is sufficient for testing these CPUs.

F@H 4.7.JPG

What puzzles me Johan is your Vcore 1.168v to 1.176v and your VID say's 1.432v now maybe i am a noob here!! But i thought they are suppose to read the same, you kinda lost me a long the way here.

1, I would set the Multi @ 46 and the Vcore to 1.40v and try that!!

2, Disable all Cstates and set the LLC to High or the next level.

3, I would Disable Intel Speed Step and see how things go.

4, As for the Ram i would set that to 1866 @ 1.5v or 1.65v depending whats on the Box etc.

But as you have been doing this kinda thing longer than me, i do not really know buddy!!

AJ.

Last edited:
What puzzles me Johan is your Vcore 1.168v to 1.176v and your VID say's 1.432v now maybe i am a noob here!! But i thought they are suppose to read the same, you kinda lost me a long the way here.

1, I would set the Multi @ 46 and the V

I think that might be the Asrock board. The VID is what I've set in the bios, that V_Core is a different option that's called fixed V_Core in the bios and that is at the max that it will allow me to set it.
It's using the voltage since the Temps keep going up, dso I know that's working. P95 just take a shett load more power to run. I just noticed that first post doesn't have a cpu-z in the SS here's what I was running but add a touch to the VID and cache volts.

4770.JPG

You'll see how sifferent the settings are just to get P95 blend to run.

It's more or less stable now to run F@H but I had to increase the voltage by a crap load and drop the memory or else F@H would just crash.

If max temp is 100C+ then you will see throttling so voltage and/or clock will drop and your stability test won't be correct.
That last screenshot looks pretty good. My 4770K needs the same voltage to run @4.3GHz :p
I didn't test ASRock Z87 boards so I'm not sure what will be best setting. I would try various settings and check how it's acting at higher and lower CPU and memory clocks. Looking at your temps I wouldn't run it above 1.35V. Throttling will start from about 95*C and you already reach ~90*C at ~1.31V.
Maybe look for a newer BIOS, maybe beta one. Anyway play some more with this board and you will find out best settings.

Well looking at this i glad i got my Hex Core its dam site easier to set up that this shettt buddy!! If there is one guy who will get this up and running its you Johan, hats off to you my Man.

AJ.

Intel i7 4770k/ Asrock Z87 Killer = Either one of them is a "killer" of funskies or one of them is leaning to the weaker side. Or you are still jus shett at rolling your cpu dice.
b0bErT...

I've always found that trying to pass Aida 64 takes less voltage then trying to pass Prime Blend on both AMD and Intel.

You can say that bud, it's not just a little bit either. Frig as soon as I tried to run Fh IT CRASHED takes at least .1v more than Aida wanted.

Last edited:
If max temp is 100C+ then you will see throttling so voltage and/or clock will drop and your stability test won't be correct.
That last screenshot looks pretty good. My 4770K needs the same voltage to run @4.3GHz :p
I didn't test ASRock Z87 boards so I'm not sure what will be best setting. I would try various settings and check how it's acting at higher and lower CPU and memory clocks. Looking at your temps I wouldn't run it above 1.35V. Throttling will start from about 95*C and you already reach ~90*C at ~1.31V.
Maybe look for a newer BIOS, maybe beta one. Anyway play some more with this board and you will find out best settings.

1.35v might be a problem with Aida but it's a walk in the park with P95 but P95 crashed at the same volts as aida at 1.32

Ok so I've finally gotten this stable enough. I had to back down to 4.5 to pass P95 at 1.31v, even at 1.3v it ran about an hour and crashed but the extra .01v let it run overnight without a hiccup. I even ran Aida64 while P95 was running for the last hour just for sh**s and giggles.

4.5 P95 Aida 10 hrs.JPG

So from my first experience with an Intel, P95 is still the stability test that should be used if you really want it stable. At 4.7 with 1.32v I was able to run Aida64 for 6.5 hrs.
Fold at home would not run without crashing at that setting and neither would P95 not even for 30 seconds. I initially thought I had a "good" CPU in my hands since I could boot into windows at 4.6 with 1.2v but I soon found out differently.

I rarely test full stability but if I do, then I run couple of tests. Last time when I was testing my 4770K then AIDA was crashing much faster than P95. I guess it depends from settings as both tests have different tests and load more CPU or IMC or both at the same time.

When I get graphics card then next on the list will be better 4770K as mine is really bad and even on ss/dice is barely passing 5-5.1GHz. So far it's 3rd that I was testing and others were not much better.

I'm certain this one is weak in the IMC, I pulled the 2400 and put in some 1866 Ripjaws at 9-10-9, even at that I had a heck of a time. I had it stable at 4.6 with the ram at 1600 11's but as soon as I tried their rated speed it would crash and really heat up the CPU. Also if I try to run the cache higher than 3900 it can't take it, just crashes.

Then you are probably missing something. Check XMP and manual settings. If one kit can make 2400 and other can't run @1866 then it's not IMC limit.
I'm testing all memory on GB Z87X-OC right now and depends from used BIOS and other settings, some kits can't even enter windows at XMP profiles or are overclocking worse than on IB. For that reason I was using B10 BIOS which is pretty old but best for most tests. Lately I've changed to newer beta and so far it's ok for everything but older CFR that can't even pass 2600 while it was stable @2666 1.65V on IB.

I guess you have to play some more with various settings on this platform to find out what is working best for your memory/cpu.

What I'm saying is the only way I could get P95 stable was by using the slower ram speed. We use P95 Blend test on the AMDs all the time since it will put a lot of stress on the IMC/memory. I find this 4770k very similar, by taking the load off of the IMC I was finally able to stablize the CPU with P95. I can run the high mem speeds using Aida64 but it won't stabilize with P95. So it's not the kits. I swapped the 2400 ram for 1866 just to make it easier on the CPU. Now that I have it stable I may try the 2400 ram again but I have a feeling that P95 won't run for long.

4770 mem.JPG

It will run that memory with the CPU at 4.7 but there was no way I could get P95 stable where I had no issue with Aida64 like you said they work different parts of the CPU.

EDIT: Giving the 2400 ram another shot now and will see how it goes!

Last edited:
Back