• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it my PSU or my mobo??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeuffelHunden

I have a random problem, that seems to be getting more prevalent. My computer will just freeze up, and not allow me to do anything. When I reset it, it takes a few tries before it will actually boot, even though it shows the power lights on the front of the case. Sometimes I have to leave it off for a bit, then turn it on and hope it starts up correctly.

2 things that I noticed: The psu fan makes loud noises sometimes, and sometimes the small fan on my mobo seems like it's spinning really slow. The psu noise fixes itself usually, as does the fan on the mobo (sometimes tapping the fan will get it running fast again). of course, these 2 things don't happen simultaneously.

I'm thinking it's the psu (500 watt that came with my new case), since it didn't start happening until I got a new case. I'm hoping it's not the mobo, because it is getting a little older now (Abit kt7a).

Any ideas?

i would say your generic psu is failing you. its quite common. get yourself a nice fortron psu. they are cheap and reliable. :)

i don't see anyother way to solve the problem.

is your cpu overclocked? does it have sufficient cooling? what power supply is the 500w?

you can try using a passive heatsink for your northbridge, zalman makes these

Back