• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just joined..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glass

.. i was feeling bored and finally got off my lazy (gl)*** and d'loaded the folding clients for both of my comps.(the other is 200mmx at the mo' but hey, the linux commandline client ran straight so why not, and if u get any funny ideas why i even bother to run 200mmx: it's great for ircing and casual web browsing while gaming, linux on that one).

the other is a duron around 1200 mhz. (needs a voltmod and 5v line boost, currently at 8.5*140, 38c folding, win2k).

i'll be going to lapland to see some reindeers(more likely mosquitos) for a week so i hope my comps be okay for that time.

thanks guys!

i already left my own home and writing from the last comp. i'll probably be able to get online from for 1,5 weeks(oh well at least i got the rest of this day on this).. the comps still answer to ping so i guess they're okeydokey! :D

and hey, i already can see myself on the stats.. credit 1.9, what does that mean?

That means the Work Units (WU's) you've turned in already have a total value of 1.9 points. Keep up the good work! We all started at "0", so don't be intimidated by the numbers of those above you. we all had to climb thru the ranks to get to where we are now.

Enjoy! :beer:

B.

Mr B said:
That means the Work Units (WU's) you've turned in already have a total value of 1.9 points. Keep up the good work! We all started at "0", so don't be intimidated by the numbers of those above you. we all had to climb thru the ranks to get to where we are now.

Enjoy! :beer:

B.

ok, that makes sense.

btw, as i havent yet read the other threads fully, there are (imho) better alternatives for stand alone folder than win98(to 500mb drive) mentioned in one of the sticky starters threads..
(so this stuff might be mentioned already but i haven't stumbled upon it yet)

there are lots of easy to use (smallish, under 100mb) 'run from dos partition' linux distros available that are easy for anyone to setup and doesn't need you to do any complex things since they're already setupped for most part(disk image with pre-installed software, and come with drivers for most NIC's), and generally easier to run in the long run than win98(no booting & etc).

the client could be small enough to be fitted to some floppy disk distro too(and boot from cd certainly could do the job, any pre-made solutions?)..

glass said:

ok, that makes sense.

btw, as i havent yet read the other threads fully, there are (imho) better alternatives for stand alone folder than win98(to 500mb drive) mentioned in one of the sticky starters threads..
(so this stuff might be mentioned already but i haven't stumbled upon it yet)

there are lots of easy to use (smallish, under 100mb) 'run from dos partition' linux distros available that are easy for anyone to setup and doesn't need you to do any complex things since they're already setupped for most part(disk image with pre-installed software, and come with drivers for most NIC's), and generally easier to run in the long run than win98(no booting & etc).

the client could be small enough to be fitted to some floppy disk distro too(and boot from cd certainly could do the job, any pre-made solutions?)..

Linux folding distros eh? Try Overfoldix. designed and set up my Gator and myself.

Download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ofdx - it is around 16MB and will boot from a CD and run in RAM. No HD needed. I suppose it could be modified to run off a hard disk.

David

glass said:
.. i was feeling bored and finally got off my lazy (gl)*** and d'loaded the folding clients for both of my comps.(the other is 200mmx at the mo' but hey, the linux commandline client ran straight so why not, and if u get any funny ideas why i even bother to run 200mmx: it's great for ircing and casual web browsing while gaming, linux on that one).

the other is a duron around 1200 mhz. (needs a voltmod and 5v line boost, currently at 8.5*140, 38c folding, win2k).

i'll be going to lapland to see some reindeers(more likely mosquitos) for a week so i hope my comps be okay for that time.
Welcome. I'm glad you're folding! ;)

David said:

Linux folding distros eh? Try Overfoldix. designed and set up my Gator and myself.

Download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ofdx - it is around 16MB and will boot from a CD and run in RAM. No HD needed. I suppose it could be modified to run off a hard disk.

David

seems like just the thing. hopefully the documentation will improve :) (more details, which kernel, which cards compiled in &etc)

maybe worth testing sometime, tho i prefer a 'real' distro where possible.. Debian forever! ;)

edit: oh.. and how does the stanford stats thingy guess my number of active cpu's? by clients running or ip addresses they're coming from? i got only 1 cpu according to it but probably it's just because the 200mmx one hasn't finished anything yet :p

Last edited:
glass said:

seems like just the thing. hopefully the documentation will improve :) (more details, which kernel, which cards compiled in &etc)

maybe worth testing sometime, tho i prefer a 'real' distro where possible.. Debian forever! ;)

edit: oh.. and how does the stanford stats thingy guess my number of active cpu's? by clients running or ip addresses they're coming from? i got only 1 cpu according to it but probably it's just because the 200mmx one hasn't finished anything yet :p

The number of active CPUs = number of unique client IDs turning in WUs.
If you reinstall the client, it will count as a new CPU. Also if you run two clients on one PC with one CPU, it will count as two CPUs.

got back! no mosquitos(well not as much as i expected) but stormy weather..

score 46.37(about a week of foldin now) ;D yippiayyee.

tho heh.. the 200mmx doesn't seem to be too groovy when it comes to folding.. :)

glass said:
got back! no mosquitos(well not as much as i expected) but stormy weather..

score 46.37(about a week of foldin now) ;D yippiayyee.

tho heh.. the 200mmx doesn't seem to be too groovy when it comes to folding.. :)

glad to hear you got back all in one piece- did you see any??

also glad to see the comps did ok by themselves and put up some good proteins for you;)

Back