• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

geforce 200mx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

el nica

Registered
Im on a tight budget right now and need to buy my son a new video card. He currently has a tnt2ultra which is not very stable. Would you say that the new geforce 200mx is what a tnt2ultra is? The only game he play is Unreal tournament. Is that vc good enough for UT?

I know some of you are going to say voodoo 3 would do the job...but I dont like how dark UT looks when you use any of those voodoo 3 card.
Thanks,

elnica

el nica (Jun 30, 2001 12:34 a.m.):
Im on a tight budget right now and need to buy my son a new video card. He currently has a tnt2ultra which is not very stable. Would you say that the new geforce 200mx is what a tnt2ultra is? The only game he play is Unreal tournament. Is that vc good enough for UT?

I know some of you are going to say voodoo 3 would do the job...but I dont like how dark UT looks when you use any of those voodoo 3 card.
Thanks,

elnica

Any of the geforce 2 MX cards should work nicely with your system, just be sure you have an AGP slot on the motherboard (some of the older systems don't inlcude one). It would be a brown-ish and somewhat smaller slot above what are probably the numerous white PCI slots (where you have your modem/soundacrd installed).. if you only see PCI slots, you will need to get a PCI based video card, which means you'll have to go with the voodoo3 3000 PCI model.

If you can afford it a Geforce 2 Pro card is a great buy that will make it in the future for about 140 + shipping. My Geforce 2 Mx 200 card is nice but im not sure if it can do real well in games like UT. I dont do that much intense graphics stuff so i dont need it. If you do want the Geforce 2 Mx200 card go to NewEgg and it is exactly 60 bucks for an Evga Geforce 2 MX200 32 meg card, 175 Mhz clock, 166 Mhz memory, 6 ns memory. Pretty sweet deal.

Ferg (Jun 30, 2001 05:43 p.m.):
If you can afford it a Geforce 2 Pro card is a great buy that will make it in the future for about 140 + shipping. My Geforce 2 Mx 200 card is nice but im not sure if it can do real well in games like UT. I dont do that much intense graphics stuff so i dont need it. If you do want the Geforce 2 Mx200 card go to NewEgg and it is exactly 60 bucks for an Evga Geforce 2 MX200 32 meg card, 175 Mhz clock, 166 Mhz memory, 6 ns memory. Pretty sweet deal.

He speaketh the truth! The Pro would take you further for extra bucks; but the MX 200 will play UT well.

Newegg is great, have bought a couple cards from them, all unopened brand spanking new for best price around.

I would go for the standard mx. I got jacked and bought a GF2MX and the bios booted and it was a MX-200. That sucked. The mx-200 really, really sucks. I get a score of 2345 in 3dMark and I have a good Athlon system.

Stay away from it.

i too am dissappointed with the mx200... my little brother bought one, but it had issues with his old analogue monitor, so i gave him my geforce 256 ddr and got his mx... my 3dmark score went from 6500 to 4000!!!! i don't play that many games, so i can handle it, but if i had it again, i'd tell him to look for a geforce 256 ddr instead!

Yeah, I agree that GF2MX200 is not good. normal GF2MX costs only
few $:s more, but is much faster! I had MX200 and now I have normal
Gainward MX. 3Dmark2000 scores with MX200: 2995
Gainward MX: 3800
Now, you see the difference! Don't buy MX200, never!!!!
only 5-20$ more and you can buy original GF2MX.

Vovan (Jul 05, 2001 03:02 p.m.):
Want a good Video card for a fair price?
look at ATi Radeon with 64 ddr!

the radeon ddr is a lot more expensive than the mx, though! it's more on the same line as a gf2 gts or pro.

Back