• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KHA+ & XP1800 - only 145 FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You all say that you need the 1/5 dividers for your 8KHA+, but why hasn't someone made their own 8KHA+ BIOS and enabled the dividers them selves? I know that the chip is able to handle 1/5 dividers...

UnSeenMenace: Can you give me an answer to that?

The 1/5 divider is a big controversy that has been discussed repeatidly. The bottom line seems to be that even though the BIOS may be able to be rewritten to support it, the 8KHA+ chipset cannot.

SamuearlJackson said:
Which bios did you use to get your good fsb speeds UnseenMenace?

SamJ

I use the 8khal00.bin bios and with Kingmax PC2100 I could get 170 mhz FSB stable with default ram voltages, the ram appeared to perform worse when I increased voltages apparently this is typical of kingmax as reported in an article on the front page.
I also found that removing my sound blaster live card helped stability a lot and that certain NIC cards made my system unstable and now use Netgear 311 and Dlink DDE-550T gigabit cards as these appear to cause me less problems.
Im currently using samsung PC2700 running at 170 mhz FSB without problems but I have been higher than this but I do encounter stability problems when I get higher than around the 180's - 190's

Well I'm completely baffled then. I'm using the same BIOS, probably better RAM Mushkin PC2700), and I think I'm using a Netgear NIC, why am I only able to get 145 FSB???

I just tried 3 different NICs and none would even POST at 150 FSB.

I give up. I'm saving my pennies for a 8K3A and the 1/5 divider.

Last edited:
unlockage

is the only way to go.

unless you have a 1500/1600+ of the most recent issue, they have low enough x's that you can play a bit more.

this is common and not a problem, i wuz stuck at these lower FSB speeds, was using sammy pc2700, didn't make a spit of difference FSB clocking, but the unlockage...................

complain all you want, but it is not going to change the facts, you want a higher FSB, unlock the sucker, then you can complain about another problem, video tearing over 195/200FSB.

oh, the problems. at least it happens a lot faster @200FSB, yo.

baldy:cool:

I just scored a couple of 8K3As so I'll have to see if the 1/5 helps. I'm also going to take the oppurtunity to unlock the CPU as well.

Back