• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

duallies or single p4 for video editing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Potatoehead

Registered
Which is better a pair of p3's between 700 and 933 or
a single p4 1.6 oc to 2 gig?
Just trying to figure out which direction to go.
I already have a single p3 700 oc to 933.
I may be using adobe premier 6.0

Thanks

pIV will be way faster then dual 933 almost 2 to 3 time faster.
but u wont be able to run anything else. hehehe

P4 would be faster, but that means the computer is untouchable for a few hours. But the P3s could stand a chance if the program supported SMP, but I doubt they would win.

Personally I would run the duals over a single for any video encoding...Simply for the ability to run other programs and or surf the web...No matter how fast any single is the video encoding requires 100% processing power and makes the system useless while encoding...

Also it is more likely to crash because of the intense usage on the single and a freeze or a crash is not something I would want to chance durring encoding...

Sometimes Speed needs to be balanced with stability and system ability making for a slower system but a more friendly system.......

most video editing/encoding apps let you specify the task priority, and by setting it at low priority you can use your pc as you would normally, with the editing/encoding app using whatever cpu cycles are left over.

Adobe Photoshop is multithreaded and I believe most of Adobe's programs are. I would be very surprised if Premiere was not multithreaded. Call Adobe and find out. If it is multithreaded, you may be better off with a dual.

When your working with video, memory bandwidth is important and that's where a P4/Rdram solution will shine and it's why the dual PIII system probably wouldn't be able to hold a candle to the P4 even if the application you were using was well threaded.

Heck, go for the best of both worlds and get a dual P4 or Athlon.

I didn't think you could have dual p4 except xeon?
Is dual p4 possible?

Thanks

that is the Xeon P4 then.

why not go for a dual XP/MP?! 2 XP1800+ processors could have for a little under $100 each! that's 'bout what u gonna pay for a P4 1.8-2.0G!

check THIS review for a better comparison.

Last edited:
xeon schmeon.

Go to Tyan.com and get you one of those nifty QUAD boards!!! Of course, you'll need the Server version of 2000 (or xp) to run it, but hey: who do you know with a QUAD?

TheDS said:
xeon schmeon.

Go to Tyan.com and get you one of those nifty QUAD boards!!! Of course, you'll need the Server version of 2000 (or xp) to run it, but hey: who do you know with a QUAD?

you would need "win 2k advanced server" for that, which supports up to 8 CPU's. try a quad xeon p3 500mhz apiece :D 2ghz. would cost you about $200 total for those CPU's, with 512k cache, but if you had the $$ you could spend about $200 on each for hte 2mb cache versions :eek :eek:

Advanced Server is not req'd. Server supports 4 CPUs. Probably a lot cheaper too. Never mind the cost of a quad board.... If you got enough dosh for that you got enough for Adv Server.

TheDS said:
Advanced Server is not req'd. Server supports 4 CPUs. Probably a lot cheaper too. Never mind the cost of a quad board.... If you got enough dosh for that you got enough for Adv Server.

yeah advan does up to 32 but I think 8 or 4 is regular server 2k.

Hey! Get my computer \/ But I would get some XP 1600's or better b/c the 1600s are only $60.

My total power of 3ghz outruns any single cpu pc.

I'm sorry to nit-pick you AGAIN, but:

Pro: upto 2 CPUs
Server: upto 4 CPUs
Adv Server: upto 8 CPUs
Datacenter: upto 32 CPUs

I'd like to see the motherboard that can take 32 CPUs.... :drool:

Now maybe XP does things a little different, but this is how 2000 does it.

As a side question, for anyone that has XP, does it call itself NT6? (2000 calls itself NT5, btw.) Just curious.

Dual Proc, Radeon 8500LE/Matrox G550 and an MPEG hardware based decoder card, such as those from Sigma Designs, Optibase, and Zoran, should be perfect for video editing. Tyan S2460 and 2 AMD Athlon XP 2000+ will run you 379@NewEgg.

just a reminder, if ya go amd, get mp's..a tad more, but they are gauranteed to work. Save the headaches.

I would go dual, just wanna research components and make sure you have a positive upgrade path in the future. You will out grow the system in a year or 2. Think about a ide raid setup also, not to expensive, but will help when dealing with huge video files. The video capture card one of the most inportant pieces of equipment, Premier has support for, i think, bout 4 or 5 cards. These are all pretty heftty in the price, but far worth it in the end. Penguin has named a few, check to see if Premier supports those or any others. You might also want to think about a firewire port or somethin also, just a thought.

Back