• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i make my Raid disk(s) be c:\ instead of the HDD on the IDE port?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keruberne

Hi

I have 2 IBM 120GXP 80GB running raid 0
and a IBM running on th enormal IDE port, but when i´m gonna install Win2K the Raid is D: and the oither one on the IDE is C: how i make so that it is the raid there is C: every time so i dont have to diconnect the IBM on the IDe every time i have to install win2k and wanna have the Raid be C:\?

please help

Witch bios is the best one to the 8K3A+

Ok heres some general info to point you in the right direction.

Make a windows boot disk with the system files and make sure its got fdask and format on it... if ya dont already have a boot disk.. Though i dont think the boot disk will have a copy of boot disk on it from the start.

Make the raid array first. Then boot up with that boot disk and before it does on the first screen (Post) hold shift and F5 down till it says bypasing windows blah blah blah.. Then type in fdisk and hit enter. Now make the partitons.. first the Primary partiton.. Make it whatever size ya want.. usually ya want the c drive like 5 Gigs or less just for the OS. Then make that Primary partiton the Active partition i think its called.. That way it will be the main boot partiton where the OS is installed and loaded from.. meaning the C drive. When you select that option for that C drive it will put a letter A next to the partiton.

Make all the other partitons by first making the rest of the space as Extended Dos partition only.. Then break it up into seperate drives of whatever size you like till the hard drive space is used up..

Now the kicker.. That other drive ya got on the normal IDE.. I hope it aint got anything important on it.. If ya made that drive with a primary partiton that may be the case as to why its the C drive.. The other spare drive that doesnt have the main C drive with the OS should all me made in Extended Dos partitons.. Not a Primary Dos on it at all... That way if ya put that drive in later on it wont mess up all your drive letters.. so you can put it in and take it out later on and it wont mess a thing up.

Now if that drive has got some important stuff on it and ya cant wipe the drive to fix the partiton.. ya might want to go out and pick up a copy of Partiton Magic... I think its around 50-60 bucks. That program will let you make changes to the partitons any way you like and not distroy the storage on it.

Also make sure that you set up the boot sequence like so:

First boot- Floppy
Second boot- ATA 133 or raid or disk0
Third- CDROM

Good luck

Have you tried switching the drive letters around using Win2K's disk management under Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management?

Will it affect the performance if i set the sekonadry disk to the raid controller and use that as a ide controller while i still is running with 2 other disks as raid 0?

Keruberne said:
Will it affect the performance if i set the sekonadry disk to the raid controller and use that as a ide controller while i still is running with 2 other disks as raid 0?

Welp generally raid will be faster if its not sharing a controller and a cable with another drive.. Though if your tight for space and need that other drive on the raid controller do what ya gota do.. THough just remember that even the normal IDE controllers on that board are also ata133/100/66/33.. if thats the reason you can still have it off the raid and use it at its rated ata speed.

Did you get your problem solved?
I had this problem when I hooked up a hdd for storage.
My boot order was hdd0 and the rest disabled.
I changed the hdd0 to the scsi.
It did the job..

Do you have it set to boot from the "SCSI" in the bios or HDD0?
Change it to scsi for raid..

Last edited:
KnownKiller said:

Dont matter either or... Raid or HDD0 will work.

Actually, it tried to boot from the hdd that I had on for storage and without an OS in it when I had the boot order on HDD0. Switched it to scsi, problem solved.

The problem is that in Win2K installation when i shall pick what drive the OS shall be on, there is my raid drive D: and the storage drive c: and i have set scsi as first boot drive instead of hdd0

And still is raid d:\ and the storage drive is c:\ that is annoying.

So how do i make it so my raid is C:\ and storage is d:\?

Just a reminder: the raid drive is all alone on that controller again and the storage is on the IDE1.

Back