• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hsf and vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrogue14

Registered
i have an a7v333 and was wondering how come other people can go up to like 2.15 volts when my bios it only says up to 1.85 how do make it go higher? and just curious from reading other threads what does hsf stand for? thanks

stealth

Hi.

HSF = HeatSink & Fan.

About the vcore to 2.15v, they probably have a mobo vcore mod.

I've also heard that you can disable the voltage limiter jumper on the mobo but I'm not sure what that really does.

Last edited:
it's where you solder a resistor to an ic chip on the mobo.

Do a search and you'll find lots of info on it.

One other thing I'd like to add: unless your positive you have high end cooling, DO NOT touch the overvolt jumper on the mobo or do a volt mod. Higher volts produce much more heat than stock voltage, and unless your HSF can handle it, you could cause instability, or even damage to the CPU. Be careful when raising the voltage.

The jumper for the vcore mod is located above your cpu at the top of the board. It will say overvolt enable, and will put you at 2.1-2.2 volts. Be careful.

if i do a overvolt will my volcano 7 handle it i also have powerfan and duel fan on my 400-watt power supply

Hey: there are 5 total jumpers for v core including overvolt. If you change the overvolt jumper it will put you at 2.09 with the other four stock, if you change all five you will be at 2.23 but at this point all voltage change has to be done on the board, you won't be able to adjust it in the bios when you enable the overvolt jumper. Hope this helps...careful on air cooled.

redrogue14 said:
if i do a overvolt will my volcano 7 handle it i also have powerfan and duel fan on my 400-watt power supply

I doubt that the Volcano 7 would be able to handle the voltage provided by the overvolt jumper. Mine has difficulty with 1.85 on an XP 1800+ (temps reach up 58C load). This is after I did a fan mod, allowing the fan to run at about 5000 rpms, as opposed to about 2500 rpms before. The only thing you would have to worry about with the PSU would be making sure that raising the core voltage doesn't impact the other voltages. A 400 wat should be ok.

so what then? will it be ok i dont want to go like at 2v just enough to be stable cause i overclocked my 2100 (1.73 to 1.91) it was good for a long time then it crashed in the blue screen on win2k server i had low vcore 1.7 then i went to 1.85 and then it got more stable at 1.91 i just want it to be perfect stable at the speed so can i do it then is that a yes. you said not ok mayber for volcano 7 but ok for 400 watt psu? so can do overvolt?

That volcano should be able to handle v core of 1.90...Change the jumpers on the board to get 1.90 and you don't have to change the overvolt jumper. The four jumpers give you different settings in the bios, hope this helps.

are you sure it will handle it? i dont want to break my "NEW" cpu and mobo or my whole computer!

yea 1.90 is nothing...it should be about 1 or max2 C higher than 1.85v. btw what stability tests haveyou done? before going higher and higher with the voltage. Run SiSoft sandra cpu test, 3dmark2001se, and prime 95. In prime95 do the torture test and if it has no errors that means your cpu is rock solid stable and you don't need to raise the voltage any higher.

I don't have an Asus mobo, but I love High Voltage :)
I have 3 boards that are volt modded, and one warning for you:

raising Vcore can kill your chip very, very, very fast.
I had one of my heatsinks VERY slightly misaligned after changing fans: LESS than 1 second later- Fried Cpu at 2.1v. R.I.P.

I'm still running chips overvolted though: and some on air cooling: IF your temps are ok, the chip SHOULD take it.
No guarantees.

Before you change any settings, run Prime95 and see what it says. If you don't have any errors, there is no point to raising the voltage, its just making more heat. I would also like to point out that raising the voltage raises heat output exponentially. If you have borderline temps before overvolting, it is dangerous to attempt it. I would not go over the 1.91 you have already tried unless you are very confident in your cooling.

1.91 volts or ghz your talking about? and well what do you suggest i do titan i have a volcano 7 heatsink with the fan of course on my cpu, 400-watt psu with dual fan on it and a power fan for my case. what do you think? i just want to at least get the lowest 1.9ghz of course the highest i will go is 2ghz....and if i do an overvolt can i still change my vcore through the bios still not the jumpers since i changed the vcore's settings through the jumpers. thanks titan your a lot of help:)

stealth

Sorry for being unclear, I was talking volts. What are your current temps (and also include what voltage thats at)? Your power supply should not be a problem at all; 400 watts should be enough to handle overvolting the core. You might however want to watch your other voltages ( 5 volt line, 12 volt line, etc) while your raising the core just to be sure they are staying in spec. If they go too far below, you might start having random reboots. I don't think it will be a problem. Now, if it was my computer, this is what I would do:

First, run Prime95 for as long as possible, preferably 24 hours or more. If you can get through that with no errors, you're stable. Unless you wish to overclock more, leave the voltage.

Now, lets assume that either its not stable enough or that we want to oc a bit more.

Raise the FSB by 2 -3 mhz, if you want to overclock more. Repeat the Prime95 test. If its not stable, raise the voltage in the BIOS in the smallest increments possible (.025). Each time the voltage is raised, repeat the Prime 95 test. Also, check your temps and make sure they are reasonable. Personally, I would be very uncomfortable over 60C.

Now, as far as I know, the A7V333 puts out slighly more voltage than what is selected in BIOS. For example, mine is set for 1.75 volts, but pc probe reads VCore at about 1.79. Someone on this board once said that they had measured the VCore with a multimeter, and the higher one reported by pc probe is correct. Just something to keep in mind.

The most important thing is to be careful. If your not sure about something, don't do it. It's better to have a slightly slower computer than a broken one. BTW, you're welcome.

Back