• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The COOLEST Windows Error EVER!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
(I use Win98SE)
I was running Winamp while AOL and IE crashed at the same time and I started noticing some weird quirks. RunDLL showed up twice when I pressed CTRL + ALT + DEL and for some reason that was causing all of the CMOS timing to be off. My computer was reporting time twice the speed it supposed to which caused a number of funny side effects...

A.) My dial-up connection was timing incorrectly and would disconnect halfway through the hand shake (15 seconds in instead of 30)

B.) I couldn't double click because that also relies on a timing preset from the CMOS

C.) All standard animations were running twice the speed normally. For example the song title in winamp was moving too fast for me to read it, the InterNet Explorer logo was churning rapidly and my busy cursors were moving insanely fast.

D.) Programs opening REALLY fast, I'm not exactly sure why but I think windows overclocked itself on accident

The only irritating one was the inability to double click. Which forced me to resort to right clicking everything. It was sort of like having to use a Mac mouse for a while.
I'd like to try recreating this effect since it didn't hurt stability and I could probably edit the Registry to change the double click time or simply set it while in this weird mode. I also don't use the internal clock for anything so tat side effect didn't bother me.

What does RunDLL specifically control? Overclocking Windows itself sounds pretty intruiging to me...

Digital Pimp said:
that is really weird.

the best error message i've seen is during post:

ERROR: no keyboard present or detected
Press any key to continue or DEL to enter setup

Digital

thats not that stupid of an error as you think.

once you get that message you can plug in your keyboard and press the any key

I know what caused the original error (everything running at twice the normal speed): something re-programmed the internal RTC clock to run at 36.4 Hz rather than the normal 18.2 Hz. This clock can be set to run at anything from 18.2 Hz at the slowest to 1.2 MHz at the fastest. Windows uses a speed of 18.2 Hz, while many DOS games use either 30 Hz or 60 Hz.

My personal favorite Windows error is error code "ERR_SUCCESS": The operation completed successfully. Only under Windows would success be considered an error.........

I read somewhere that they were going to change where it said "any key" to "the return/enter key" b/c so many idiots were calling asking "wheres the any key?"
P.S. Iv always wanted to call tech support and play REALLy dumb, but iv never done it.

Do you know that when there is no vid card or monitor plugged, WIndows "displays" a No monitor detected error?

This is one of the weirdest error of all :D

Back