• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alright now its time to scream!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Ok well after I finaly got my brand new mobo after damaging the last I desided to put the FSB at only 140.. but my damn mobo didnt seem to like that and corupted part of windows so I had to format and re-install... but when I went to reinstall windows I had to enter that product registration code.. but then I rembered that I had stuck that stupid little sticker on the back of my old case.. I then looked at the back of my old case to only see it gone!! It either fallen off or I had taken it off without realiseing it when I was cleaning out the old case!!! Now what am I supose to do! Microsoft any just gonna go and give me a new cd key now are they?! Ah man... this is like the fifth prob Ive had so far in switching to my new setup... arggg.....

Well if you do truley own a copy of the OS you could try and call MS. They probally would ask for a reciept and a picture of the CD. Which OS was it, and did it come bundled as part of a Dell, or Gateway ect. You could try to call them, as they would have you in the customer data base. I always write the Key on the CD casue I always loose the CD case or the Sticker. Happens all the time with my Half Life CDs. I have 3 copies of the thing.

I have an OEM version of Windows Xp Pro that I bought from googlegear.com... hhmm..

Unfortunately raventy, since you bought the OEM version of XP...you're basically stuck with pleading with the retailer you bought it from (Googlegear in your case), as they are required to support your OEM version of XP. Microsoft won't support an OEM version, it's the responsiblity of the OEM to provide the support...that's why OEM versions cost them less to purchase, because they take on the responsiblity and relieve Microsoft of it.

If the retailer refuses to support your OEM copy of XP, tell them you'll report them to Microsoft for violating their agreement to sell/support OEM products.

Also, the Product Key is no longer stored in the Registry in any version of Windows XP...as was the case with previous versions of Windows. ;)

Last edited:
hhmm actualy now that I look at my recipt.. I bought that OEM OS (winxppro) through compuplus (www.compuplus.com)... do they have a way of finding out the product key? Like I mean I have the top part of the sticker... ya kno ya rip the bottom half off that has the product number and ur left with this top stub.. well the top stub has some number on it (not the product key of corse) but do u supose thiers a way microsoft or my vendor can get the cd key though that?

ThePerfectCore said:
Just get a key generator. Just because you lost your car keys doesn't mean you have to take it to the dealer to get them replaced.

No, I would not suggest using a key generator. What if someone else is using the key it generates? When you try to activate it....well, I dont think it's legal.

ThePerfectCore said:
Just get a key generator. Just because you lost your car keys doesn't mean you have to take it to the dealer to get them replaced.

Very bad Idea,One if it is a legit copy do the right thing and call the retailer.Also if you follow this advice you will find that in service pack 2 for XP there is something that will disable any nonlegit copy of the pro version....Microsoft is pretty upset that the pro copy has been used freely among people.

yea I mean personaly I paid the $134 bucks for it and I dont feel that I should have to use a illegal cdkey for somthing I paid for to work just cause microsoft is an *** about helpin you out. I mean why dont they just print the damn product key on the actual cd? or give the cd's numbers that when entered on a microsoft tech's pc can give u the product number? I mean COME ON! They only print it on a STICKER! that after a while will probely loose its stickyness and fall off or could be very easily lost!! If they stuck em on the actual cd then you wouldnt have this problem.. cause if ya lost the cd ya wouldnt even be at the registration code part in the instal! Do you think my actual vendor where I bought It from liek records these product numbers in cases like this? I mean ive got the top half of the stick which has some number written on.. I was thinking maybe that number could get you the product number when entered in a tech's pc or somthing? And anothing thing that realy P***ed me off was finding out microsoft charges you for everything... just to ask them even a simple question they charge you like 35 bucks! How much more money does microsoft realy need! man ud think theyd have enough but now thier just getting greedy! ... I guess they need alot of money to develop that new military wepon their using to take over the world... ;) haha

yayayayayay! Looks like microsoft has ways of finding out if you realy own the cd key before they give you one. I gave them a call today..(guess they had their slaves still working on LABOR day) and after talking to a representitive on the phone they had me read all the wriiting I saw on the front of the cd. Then they asked me if I had contacted my vendor yet and I said no I didnt. They then told me to contact them first and they should give me some "info" then I belive I report back to microsoft with that "info" and they'll give me my cd key... they also told me that if I had any problems obtaining this "info" from my vendor that I should tell them my vendors number, and name of their rep that I talked.. hehe I guess microsoft will straighten them out ... just like redduc900 said they would if they dont hold up to their OEM support! haha! thanks redduc900 uve been very helpful man! and so have the rest of ya! I'll let ya all know how it went tommorow after I contact my vendor.. (thier off today cause of holiday)

I hope I never have this trouble
I can't remember who I bought this OEM xphome off of.
I got it off of amazon.com I believe off a third party

"Where's my pen" "Got to write down this serial # in several spots"

lol yea once i get my id num again im gonna like staple it in giant lettes across my wall HAHAHA..

Glad there is light at the end of this problem...Good luck and maybe a tatoo of that Id would look cool on a forearm !!!!

Have you guys had to register your Xp

I could not log on my comp last night Xp told me I had to register
so I ended up calling on the phone and getting the registry # to be able to log on. The lady on the phone told me that was unusual and she never heard of that before.

ThePerfectCore said:

Does'nt mean you have to get the nearest criminal to jiggle the lock and break in with someone elses keys they have stolen either does it ??

I hope microsoft doesnt read this thread and find out that I unveiled their evil weapon to take over the world or ill never get that key. haha.. Ok heres what happend so far... I called my vendor up and they just said "ddrrrrrr uuhhh dduuuhhaaddrrr" and had no clue what to do... so I called microsft back up and told them my vendor didnt kno what to do... then microsoft asked me for their number and the name of the person I talked to. Then after I gave them that I was put on hold and microsoft like called them up and yelled at them. haha.. then they gave me a cdkey. Well I then went out for a few hours and when I came back desided to install it. Well guess what? the cd key they gave me didnt work! So I called the aholes up and told them they gave me a bad cdkey.. they then said that the key I was given was a Ms. Office Xp Pro cd key.. not a win xp pro one.. guess the retart on the phone thought I ment office pro.. that dumb ***... then they said that their keygem server was being upgraded and id have to call back tommorow! bah.. another day gone by with no pc going. :( ah man.. and its back to classes tommorow too!... :(

keep us in touch to let us know how long it took to resolve the problem and your comments as towards how it was handled by MS

ok well I just called up microsoft a few min ago and they then went and got a manager to make me a new product key. Then to make sure that this time they were giving me a good working one they stayed on the phone while I tried it out... and... IT WORKED!! WOOT! :p yayayay! I think microsoft tech support handled this situation very well and didnt ***** me about getting a new product key. They had me read the front of my cd and tell them the part number.. then gened me a new one. I am very pleased with them at the moment now. haha.. thoe I gotta reformat my hd cause overwriting the messed up windows files didint work out to well.. but im pretty confident that this product key will work.. as it did in the install menu.. Just gotta make sure it works when I go to register it with them.

Back