• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU/MOBO/MEM right now or new Vid card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LonnusMaximus

Registered
Right now I am just running a AMD800 clocked to 880 (highest motherboard option) and a Gforce 256, and planned on waiting for the new AMD chips at the end of the year to get a full new system....

However, my boss currently offered me as an under the table bonus $300 of any new computer parts I wanted but I have to buy them soon.... and I just don't know what to do.... I can toss in an extra $50 to $100 right now to top it off. I plan on getting the Iceberg CPU Liquid Cooling kit for $100 either way I go to help overclock and the AHANIX Romeo case now or later. (Won't OC until I get those)

But here is my current dilema of what I could get now-

1) Soltek SL-75DRV5 VIA KT333 motherboard for $84 (top performer and stable on motherboards.org, and I don't need features), Athalon XP 2200 ($143.99), and 512MB PC3000 DDR for $126

or

2) latest Nvidia graphics card that is at about $350 (no, I won't go ATI even if it is faster)

Either one I get, I will get the other before the end of the year (Providing AMD release dates are on track)

So I guess the basic question is, if I get the video card now, will it still be able to keep up with a new processor in 4 months not using many CPU cycles?? Or are the video cards so fast now that waiting for the faster processeor will be a good idea..... what I am going to be able to overlcock this AMD to with good cooling seams to me like a fine processor and mobo combo that will last me a good while after I also get a ATA133 drive, and I think getting a newer video card later that will probably have more hardware features built into it is the best bet.... but I just wanted to make sure my thinking is on track.

Thanks for any opinions.

CPU/MOBO/MEM, its much more important than a new vid card
i learned that the hard way
not to mention you wouldnt be getting the best out of your vid card without some newer core equip ment

i just find it funny that you could be the three most important components for the price of what i think is the overrated one

unless you are doing some serious gaming or rendering you dont need a new vid card

All I do at home is gaming :) So yes, the big 3 are most important right now compared to what I have, but the dilema is what I could get in 4 months or so vs. now.

You would probably do best getting a GeForce 3 TI, along with a new motherboard an processor. That video card ought to cost around $100, and it would be a solid upgrade over what you have.

Honestly, I would try to find a 1600+XP with an AGOIA or AROIA stepping, because they will cost a lot less and overclock to AT LEAST 1750mhz on GOOD air cooling, while a 2200+ will only hit 2000mhz with water cooling. Some 1600+XP AGOIA or AROIA have been known to hit 2ghz, as well.
And try to get an epox, abit, or assus kt333 motherboard....

LonnusMaximus said:
(no, I won't go ATI even if it is faster)

uh...

bad experiences with ati?

I would say that you sould get a radeon 8500 and some cpu, mobo, and mem... b/c that card is the best bang for the buck... but nvm....

With the new drivers I haven't had any problems w/ my 8500, but yes the first drivers were a little screwy.

Back