• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermoEngine: A disturbing change in direction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And once again Oveclockers takes the high ground. Joe has addressed this issue on the front page. Bravo!

We posted OUR review in the beginning of February and at that time http://www.azzo.com was the only retailer to have stock. Of the first 700 units they had for sale, all of them were identical to the review unit we had. I KNOW, we had them check. End of story.

If you will go back and check our review we state on the first page that the units have since changed and we have not tested them in-house. I caught flack about this yesterday and went back and outlined the sentence in BIG BOLD LETTERS so it would be more easily seen.

Is this a "scam", well I simply don't know about that, but I can assure you that our review represented the first two shipments that came into the USA.

Outside that, I cannot state much more except our review was 100% correct when posted and as we are a third party reviewer, I have no control over what a private commercial entity does with their product. We have another HSF roundup coming next month in which we will put the solid core unit in along with the hollow one.

Please don't hold us responsible or question our integrity for things we have absolutely no control over. I did the RIGHT thing at the time that it was in question and we did our research, if you have a problem with that, please feel free to email me.

Your website isn't so much in the wrong as Thermosonic the company is....

Newer reviews are still based on Hollow-Core models, which do not represent the Current production models.

here's the main issue: Thermosonic claims same performance between hollow core and solid core. If this is they case, why have they continued to send out Hollow-core units even to this day to "review-sites". That is a serious issue of ethics. And you as a website have no control over it. But you do have the ability to look into the Current state of their heatsinks.

now as far as your next heatsink roundup... Will you still be using socket-thermistors for your testing?

Mike

I am not really sure what requoting all I said and then posting my private emails is supposed to show. As I asked you in the original mail, what is your point?

I will stand behind everything I have said 100% and if you have a problem with that, you are welcome to email me or drag it out right here. I have nothing to be hide.

If you do decide to drag it out here, please drop me a mail as to your post becaus I will not be checking this board any more. I simply ducked in to defend myself on the advice of a reader.

Tachyon (May 01, 2001 03:39 p.m.):
FrgMstr (May 01, 2001 03:25 p.m.):
We posted OUR review in the beginning of February and at that time http://www.azzo.com was the only retailer to have stock. Of the first 700 units they had for sale, all of them were identical to the review unit we had. I KNOW, we had them check. End of story.

If you will go back and check our review we state on the first page that the units have since changed and we have not tested them in-house. I caught flack about this yesterday and went back and outlined the sentence in BIG BOLD LETTERS so it would be more easily seen.

Is this a "scam", well I simply don't know about that, but I can assure you that our review represented the first two shipments that came into the USA.

Outside that, I cannot state much more except our review was 100% correct when posted and as we are a third party reviewer, I have no control over what a private commercial entity does with their product. We have another HSF roundup coming next month in which we will put the solid core unit in along with the hollow one.

Please don't hold us responsible or question our integrity for things we have absolutely no control over. I did the RIGHT thing at the time that it was in question and we did our research, if you have a problem with that, please feel free to email me.

Kyle - I'm not about to enter a flame war over this here or anywhere else. Here is our e-mail from last night. I have attempted to find the two discussions on a solid ThermoEngine with no luck.

Old news bro. As for lying, you are assuming the person talking to you had knowledge of it...

Kyle Bennett
WebMonger @ HardOCP.com
Purveyor of Smoothness @ Ratpadz.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 7:11 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Thermosonic ThermoLie

Only that I didn't know that anyone had actually looked inside one and that Thermosonic blatently lied to me on the phone.

We have discussed this twice on the front page. Do you have a point?

Kyle Bennett
WebMonger @ HardOCP.com
Purveyor of Smoothness @ Ratpadz.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 6:56 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Thermosonic ThermoLie

Kyle,

I was concerned that the retail Thermosonic ThermoEngine is not hollow
like the pre-production models that were provided for review. I have
attached a small write-up and a picture of a cutaway retail Thermoengine
that is....SOLID.

Terry Pierce
Warp Factor-e

does any one know if thermosonic is claiming that the preformanc of the solid is the same as the hollow on their advertising, if so it is not unethical its illegal

cuz anyone selling these things better watch out what they say about them i dont know if manufactures are held to same standards as retailers are but there are laws aginst posting false claims to sell a item in the US

nevermind thermosonic i would be supprised if they reply to any e-mails,
not much can be done to thermosonic being foreign company china owns taiwan right but any way if you have a sight that sells these things i would pull it if i were you, damn look how many times this thread has been read since the front page posting i checked the [H]ard OCP site and he has him selfe covered although he might want to move the warning to the top of the page or pull it alltogether

Doesn't it seems pretty obvious to you guys. A Taiwanese startup finds "success" after massive PR claims and reviews then tries to minimize production costs to maximize profit returns.
I use to work for numerous Taiwanese owned "high tech" companies, they are all the same, maximize profits by cutting corners (and not forgetting cheap labor) but using hardware review sites to get a good public notice and go on a PR blitz. Using "prime" units from good yields and sending it to reviewers while not so good or sometimes just plain bad units goes off to distributors.
IT's all the same! I don't blame companies sending reviewers "prme" units, they are just trying to make a good impression on the public, but dramatically changing the product design to again minimize costs after the foothole is set is just plain WRONG!
Thermosonic is probably just that, a Taiwanese "mom and pop" company (probably running out of a shack somewhere in the Central Taipei) with greedy owners always trying to think up shrew-like tactics to make more money and instead of re-investing the profit, they pocket it. The more they pocket the more they need to cut operating and production costs to make up for it until eventually they go out of business. These things happen ALL the time.
Take note that I'm only speculating (based on my pass experiences). I could be wrong, they could be a really great company that is out there trying to make an honest buck...............but if they didn't have anything to hide, then why won't they respond to our posts and emails? You be the judge.

Praetorian

Now I just got a ThermoEngine V60-4210 with a 34 CFM fan last week. I order it from www.coolerstar.com on April 19. So this a paid for item, I didn't get it for free. Running a Celeron 566 @ 850 in a Abit VH6-II. CPU temp right now is 41 C with voltage @ 1.85 and using Arctic Silver II. Seems to be normal from the sites that have any infomation on the temps for this heatsink. I'll be more than happy to let you know anything more about it, just email me.

pii100 (May 01, 2001 04:13 p.m.):
cuz anyone selling these things better watch out what they say about them i dont know if manufactures are held to same standards as retailers are but there are laws aginst posting false claims to sell a item in the US

I don't think anyone selling these heatsinks can or should be held responsible. Obviously Thermosonic pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with this one...

I'm kind of surprised that everyone is casting around in such a flurry to find someone to blame. I agree that the hardware sites should make a note of Thermosonic's switcheroo, but let's not go after every single person in the resale chain. I'd say the blame for this should be place solely on only one party: Thermosonic itself.

Praetorian109,

I was not going to bring this up but your thoughts are the same as mine.

Praetorian109 (May 01, 2001 05:10 p.m.):
Doesn't it seems pretty obvious to you guys. A Taiwanese startup finds "success" after massive PR claims and reviews then tries to minimize production costs to maximize profit returns.
I use to work for numerous Taiwanese owned "high tech" companies, they are all the same, maximize profits by cutting corners (and not forgetting cheap labor) but using hardware review sites to get a good public notice and go on a PR blitz. Using "prime" units from good yields and sending it to reviewers while not so good or sometimes just plain bad units goes off to distributors.
IT's all the same! I don't blame companies sending reviewers "prme" units, they are just trying to make a good impression on the public, but dramatically changing the product design to again minimize costs after the foothole is set is just plain WRONG!
Thermosonic is probably just that, a Taiwanese "mom and pop" company (probably running out of a shack somewhere in the Central Taipei) with greedy owners always trying to think up shrew-like tactics to make more money and instead of re-investing the profit, they pocket it. The more they pocket the more they need to cut operating and production costs to make up for it until eventually they go out of business. These things happen ALL the time.
Take note that I'm only speculating (based on my pass experiences). I could be wrong, they could be a really great company that is out there trying to make an honest buck...............but if they didn't have anything to hide, then why won't they respond to our posts and emails? You be the judge.

Praetorian

How is this limited to Taiwan? I can name a fair number of U.S. companies that do the same thing. I'm sure there are Canadian and European companies that resort to these same tactics. That's not to say that all companies are bad, but quite a few of them-- maybe even the majority-- are into fleecing the customer.

This is not just a problem with Taiwan, this is an inherent problem with capitalism in general. I'm not sure that there is really anything that can be done about it, outside of people just refusing to buy from companies who employ these tactics. Buyer Beware, as always, appears to be the name of the game. :-(

Back