• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oil/Fuel Pump for WC-Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FrankisGER

At the mainpage, i read an article about the Fuel Pump, Joe tried one day. hmm. now, i need a strong powerfull pump. i can get stuff from the yunkyard really cheap. will a oil pump be better than a fuel pump? which one is louder? are all fuel pumps as loud as Joe´s.

here is the article, i´m referring to: http://www.overclockers.com/tips297/

If you need a powerful pump, go buy you an Ehiem, you can choose your flow rate, there different for each model. I see that they are the best and there quite. You can get them online or at most fish stores.

If you use a fual pump you will have to take extra precautions becuse they run at a higher preasure then the pumps normally used for water cooling. I have a couple of Eheim 1048's and they do a great job . I also have a Eheim hobby pump which is 602GPH this thing really moves some water! It could be a good solution if you need high volume.

FrankisGER (May 02, 2001 07:32 a.m.):
At the mainpage, i read an article about the Fuel Pump, Joe tried one day. hmm. now, i need a strong powerfull pump. i can get stuff from the yunkyard really cheap. will a oil pump be better than a fuel pump? which one is louder? are all fuel pumps as loud as Joe´s.

here is the article, i´m referring to: http://www.overclockers.com/tips297/

You can use an EFI pump since it doesn't pulse like the carb pump Joe tested. And don't worry about the pressure if you have a decent system, some people who haven't even run a fuel pump will try to tell you that it will cause high pressure. High pressure can only come from flow restriction. My setup has no pressure in it and I'm running a fuel pump.

I dont know about the fuel pumps, but I would say definitely not the oil pumps. Most auto oil pumps consist of two gears that move the oil in the open spaces in between the teeth. They are usually driven by the cam or crankshaft (depending on the engine) and therefore rely on something to turn them.

mudguts (May 02, 2001 06:31 p.m.):
I dont know about the fuel pumps, but I would say definitely not the oil pumps. Most auto oil pumps consist of two gears that move the oil in the open spaces in between the teeth. They are usually driven by the cam or crankshaft (depending on the engine) and therefore rely on something to turn them.

additionally to this they are designed for high pressure (will more than like keep blowing hoses off (definate no no) plus what are you planning to turn this with that won't make a heap of noise?

I will agree with DE on the EFI fuel pump. That is what I am running in my watercooling system. You could get a belt drive oil pump but cost would eat you up.($500.) Like I said I am running a EFI pump out of a 1987 Chevy P/U. It works great.It puts out a constant 25 GPH. Not as fast as a aqurium pump. It gives the radiator time to do its job of cooling the water down. You need to use some antifreeze for lubrication in the pump. If you think about it a fuel pump is good for a lot of hours and they are very quite. Hope this helps.

KT7A-Raid
T-Bird 1333/266 @1612
Watercooled

Back