• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temp seems stable without my fan ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MsNath

My Northbridge is on fire and my CPU is running cooler??? Whats up with that?

Am I reading these temp gauges properly? My readings on MBM corespond with my readings from my VIA hardware monitor.

They say my CPU is 27c normaly it sits around 32-34c

it says my system temp is 32c normaly that sits around 27c. I always thought that system temp was the Northbridge. Am I wrong? Second, no matter what shouldn't my system temps be cooler?

MsNath (May 12, 2001 11:19 p.m.):

Am I reading these temp gauges properly? My readings on MBM corespond with my readings from my VIA hardware monitor.

it says my system temp is 32c normaly that sits around 27c. I always thought that system temp was the Northbridge. Am I wrong? Second, no matter what shouldn't my system temps be cooler?

Yep you got it wrong [I was wondering in another of your post how you were measuring your NB temps] there is a thermistor on your MB and if you have anything warm near it that would give you higher temps my MB thermiostor is light blue and looks just like the one under proccesor find it and make sure its not touching anything. If you have a lack of case fans or if your ambient temps are high then your system temps will go up. good luck

MsNath (May 12, 2001 11:19 p.m.):

Well, it's not really you who has it wrong, it's MBM.

According to their website and the way they have the sensors set up, my chip is 27C and my case temp is 30C. I'm sure that's wrong as other KK266 users have agreed with me. Perhaps this is the way that MBM is with all KT133A based mobos.

Amiel

I don't think the system thermister is at the northbridge on most motherboards, but the northbridge temps do affect the overall system temps. I know that from experience. I took my greenie heatsink off and cleaned that tape off, then reinstalled it with Arctic Silver. You have to remove the motherboard to get at the two spring pins that hold the greenie on. Then I put a 20mm thick 40mmX40mm fan on the greenie. This and good case fans moving fresh air in and hot air out, really helped my system temps.

Looks like your system and CPU temps are just mixed up. Rename the sensors in MBM and you will have it right, sounds like MBM switched the labels on you.

What is it with MBM? For the Abit motherboards, VIA Hardware Monitor works great. I'm not sure what comes with the Iwill motherboards. From what I've read, ASUS Probe can't get the right temperature, though it at least gets the sensors right.
Common sense says your CPU will always be hotter than your system temp.

Hoot

Hoot (May 13, 2001 01:42 p.m.):
What is it with MBM? For the Abit motherboards, VIA Hardware Monitor works great. I'm not sure what comes with the Iwill motherboards. From what I've read, ASUS Probe can't get the right temperature, though it at least gets the sensors right.

Hoot
Sorry today we throw common sense out the window.

MBM is working fine. At least when I compare it to VIA hardware monitor they both are saying the same thing. Besides when I unplug the fan on my cpu the temps go up on the CPU indicated reading.

MY System temps have now dropped a bit. I put a slower pump on and for some reason since then I am running a bit cooler. but still my system temp is 27c and my CPU is 26c the CPU is cooler than the system. Go figure.

I wish I could find someone who could point me to the exact spot where the system temps reading are taken from.

You know all this confusion about system temps and where they are read from exct would make a good article. <HINT HINT to anyone who affiliated with the ny of the OCing websites>

Hoot (May 13, 2001 01:42 p.m.):

Hoot

My PC Probe and MBM give me exactly the same temps, are both of them wrong? 8)
maybe its a Abit issue I'm using an Asus

your temps are lower because your system is more efficent with the slower pump the water has more time to cool in the radiator i made a post no one commented on my point proven. YOU CAN MOVE THE COOLANT TOO FAST FROM THE RADIATOR, IT DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO COOL IN THE RADIATOR. You can cycle the water pump on and off by using various electrical devices so the coolant can get cooler from the radiator, paint the radiator a thin coat of black if you want every bit of thermal efficency.

Well on my MB my thermistor if your looking in the case is rite below my memory half way to the bottom of board but its obvious I think if it was the same as yours you would have allready found it thought I'd throw it out anyway maybe you'll get lucky. remember there going to keeo it away from proccesor and its airflow so it will be on the bottom half of board and since pci and graphic cards can cause heat they will probably keep it from them so that leaves us with the lower right side if your looking at your MB installed in a case it will look like a resistor with a thick ceramic coating but it will have 2 pins sticking out of it going in to the MB maybe its only that way on my abit MB but it may help goodluck

I too thought that the Northbridge chip housed the system temp sensor but realized that could not be true. There was no blue thermistor to be found so I then thought it must be in the Winbond chip on my mobo (clue came from my Asus V7700 G2 which has GPU temp and fan speed monitoring and a Winbond chip). This chip is located between the ends of my PCI slots and the case, but after reading your post I decided to see if that was true - it was not, I was wrong again.

I decided to bring home a can of freeze spray in order to locate the elusive sensor as I was now very intrigued as to it's location. Well, it turns out I was close. The Winbond chipset is made up of two IC's, a large one (W83977EF) which controls the FD, Parallel Port, Serial Ports, Keyboard, Mouse and X-BUS which goes to the Flash ROM. The second chip (W83782D) is much smaller and is connected to the X-bus.

I had thought it was the large chip when in fact it was the small one, as soon as I hit it with freeze spray my system temp (in bios set-up pc health settings) went below zero. Jackpot. This little guy is below the big chip by three pci slots, it is in fact at the end of the lowest pci slot, close to the bottom of my mobo - the only other board below it is my ISA slot which houses a NIC card.

Now to the theory to explain your questions. In the case of my board, the winbond chip is tucked away in the bottom corner where there is little air movement, the heat from my nic card helps keep it warm, so my system temperature appears higher than my ambient case temp and certainly higher than my ambient air intake temp. In your case I assume your water temp is close to the air temp, so if your sensor is hidden away similar to the one on my mobo then that is where the temp difference is. :)

Diablo (May 14, 2001 12:50 a.m.):
your temps are lower because your system is more efficent with the slower pump the water has more time to cool in the radiator i made a post no one commented on my point proven. YOU CAN MOVE THE COOLANT TOO FAST FROM THE RADIATOR, IT DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO COOL IN THE RADIATOR. .

Well I spoke to soon my temps did not drop with the slower pump. They just took a while to make it back up to 32c. As a further note, I do not use a radiator I use a huge water resevoir contained in my freezer. Thus slower moving water will not benefit me. In addition, system temps as pointed out are not read from the Northbridge and thus would not be affected either way by the flow of water through the chipset block. Though I do agree that if you do use a radiator, slower flow through the radiator is a good thing, with the added note that faster flow across the water block is also benificial. How to keep the water flowing fast across the block yet slower through the radiator is a another problem. One which I don't need to worry about :)

Now onto the system temp indicator site.

I did a reverse experiment from LimeyGreg. I used a hair dryer. I wasn't able to narrow it down as exact as he but I can confirm that that the system temp reading is taken from somewhere near the lower end of the board.

So now to address the theory of why putting a blue orb onto a your Northbridge causes your system temps to drop and putting a chipset water block on causes them to rise.

Answer: Airflow plain and simple. Though the system temp is not read from the Northbridge, a blue orb none the less pushes more air across your board and thus lowers your system temps.

My system temps raised a bit from 27c to 31c becuase of the reduced air airflow. This is not much of a problem as the main chip that needs the cooling, the Northbridge, is getting all the cooling it can handle.

LimeyGreg can you circle the exact chip that you found to read the system temps and then repost this pic? If you have a bigger picture feel free to us it instead of this one.

[img="[URL]http://plaza.powersurfr.com/MsNath/home/kt7a-raid.gif[/URL]"]

Diablo (May 14, 2001 12:50 a.m.):
your temps are lower because your system is more efficent with the slower pump the water has more time to cool in the radiator i made a post no one commented on my point proven. YOU CAN MOVE THE COOLANT TOO FAST FROM THE RADIATOR, IT DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO COOL IN THE RADIATOR. You can cycle the water pump on and off by using various electrical devices so the coolant can get cooler from the radiator, paint the radiator a thin coat of black if you want every bit of thermal efficency.

it doesn't have too cool nearly as much heat though in the radiator though, you are also moving it through the block and at a faster speed thus the water does not get as hot which is ok for it to move through the radiator at a faster rate. Probably was not responded to due to the fact that this bush has been beaten to a pulp and then some. Just two schools of though, go with whatever gives you the best results.

I just d/l'd the manual for your board, actually had to do it twice as the first one was in Chinese !!! , that will teach me to pay attention - thank goodnes for my 1Mb/s DSL.

I see there is no Winbond chipset on your mobo, but if you look at page 1-10 of your manual you will see that the hardware monitoring and control is done with the "southbridge" chip, a VT82C686B according to the manual.

I would hazard a guess that the thermal sensor is a part of that chip. If you don't have any freeze spray to use then try a "q-tip" or cotton bud dipped in medical alcohol and hold it against the chip. Now use you hairdryer on cold to evaporate the alcohol on the chip and it should cool it enough to be noticeable on your sensor.

An alternative would be to use something hot and actually press it against the chip, a hair dryer is too general but you could use it to heat an object first.

It looks as if a blower on your vid card would help cool the southbridge chip nicely and if you put a waterblock on the vid card, now you have a good deal less air flowing over the sb-chip.

The last time i saw a pic of your MB it was laying on a table have you thought to put it in a case with fans and then see how low your temps drop?

Back