• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trowbridge

My Dimension 8200 is only a week old and yes i'm ****ed that the 8250 uses PC1066 :mad: but it's alot more expensive anyway. but my question is how far can i take my 2.533Ghz P4. Dells profiler on their site says the max is 3060MHz. And of course when i questioned that, they weezeled thier way out of saying that's what you can overclocke to. So what's the verdict??? And also if anyone knows where I can get information on actually doing it, that would be appreciated also. I kinda know what I'm doing, but i'd like to be safe. Any info would be great. THANX :)

Maybe I am not quite fully understanding what you just wrote, but did you say that Dell's tech support site says that you can OC your comp? And they gave you a guideline as to what you can safely OC to? Do you even have any OC'ing options in your bios? If you do then all that you need to do is raise the fsb a bit and see how it does. If it does good then try for a bit more. Do this until the comp is not real stabile and then lower it back down a couple of settings. If your Dell comp has an adjustable fsb in the bios I will be shocked though. Good luck on your quest for an OC.

Visit this page http://support.dell.com/us/en/reference.asp click on "Configuration" and use the profiler. I don't think you have to own a dell to use it. Click on "processors". This should show you what i mean. And to clear everything up, no they did not say anything about OC.

No there is nothing in BIOS, that's the reason i need help. New computers don't use jumpers for that right, so how do i unlock the processor?

No O/Cing for you!!!!

Not with Dell anyways....
And the profiler simply shows you what's the highest speed CPU you can configure this system with. Thats all. Overclocking a Dell mobo (most likely Intel's desing anyways) is a NO GO...:(
Should have done more research man....:rolleyes:

Mike

Gotcha

Aiight, guess if i really wanna go faster i'll buy a 2.8 when the 3.0's come out (they'll be cheaper, after all OC'ing is usually done to achieve a higher speed at a lower cost). thanks everyone for the info.

Mike

You could also buy a good motherboard instead of a new CPU, Overclock your 2.533 to a 2.8, and save yourself a few hundred dollars.

That's what I would do anyway if I was stuck with a Dell Motherboard.

good idea, but i hear dell cases are built specifically for their boards and would be hard to install another manufacture's product. Also, is replacing the motherboard a difficult procedure?

DO NOT plug the dells power supply in to another board. It will smoke!!!!

Dells have a power supply that "looks" like a regular ATX but the pins are switched around so it will only work with a Special Motherboard that Intel made for Dell.

Unless you want to lose a board you have to buy a Standerd ATX power supply from Newegg or some where for it to work with a non-dell board.

thank you, i probably would have set off the smoke detector. LOL I'll be sure to do my homework and some extra credit so as to ensure i know what i'm doing before making an atempt. Thank you.

Thank's, that was interesting and i never thought about the advantages over the ATX

You could get a new case, mobo, and psu for less than 200 bucks. And that would be some pretty descent stuff for that price. If you are really tight on money you could probably get away with 150 even for a new mobo and case with psu. Then just reuse your hd, cd-rom drives and ram and you have yourself a new comp on the cheap. The only thing missing would be a video card, but if you get a mobo with onboard stuff you could make due till you could afford a descent vid card.

Is there some software that you can use to mess around with the Dell board? I want to overclock my Dimension 8200 but it seems all i hear is that you cannot.

EtriusQuill said:
Is there some software that you can use to mess around with the Dell board? I want to overclock my Dimension 8200 but it seems all i hear is that you cannot.

Not going to happen on a Dell. Build a custom PC if you want to OC.

Back