• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new 64bit AMD platform ANALOG???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziah

ok i know for recording gurus analog is always nice to have in a digital world but why the he*l are there 3 tubes on this motherboard :bang head ?????

kind of funky!!

~z

As far as I know Aopen is the only manufacturer to put out MB with vaccuum tubes onboard for sound. I assume you're talking about this board...
13.jpg

Here's the low down on what they do according to Tom...
The AOpen AK86 is the first board for the Socket 754 platform to arrive in the THG lab. It's based on the VIA K8T400M chipset and is equipped with the VIA VT8235 Southbridge. Three memory slots can be fitted with DDR333 at the most. An interesting feature is the integrated vacuum tube amplifier for 5.1 surround sound. Here, three tubes (satellite, center and stereo channels) are responsible for processing the analog signal...

a picture of the board in question....

and i read a bit more. it has a built in analog amp (dolby 5.1) for nice fat analog sound.

board.jpg

kinda funky!

i dont recognise the bank of connectors above the sound card sockets?? looks like another bank of usb ports?

~z

Whoa thats really cool I might have to get one!

I recently read somewhere that those very, very picky about sound quality can actually tell the difference between digital and analog (tube) equipment, with analog equipment being preferred. This must be targeted towards those people, and would probably make them *very* happy.

whoa, nice tubes.
but look at that ps connector, all the way down south of the pci slots. bad design.
i would just buy a tube amp.

ziah said:
ok i know for recording gurus analog is always nice to have in a digital world but why the he*l are there 3 tubes on this motherboard :bang head ?????

kind of funky!!

~z

Not the first board with analog tubes... though I can't remember the name of the other one....

"but look at that ps connector, all the way down south of the pci slots. bad design."

its actually a clever design. all the connectors are off to the side so heat rises better and air flows unobstructed.

think about it

~z

ziah said:
"but look at that ps connector, all the way down south of the pci slots. bad design."

its actually a clever design. all the connectors are off to the side so heat rises better and air flows unobstructed.

think about it

~z

put that mobo in a full tower and try to plug the ATX connector in, then say it's clever ;)
without extending the wires (on most PSU's) it won't reach. it's a good idea for cooling i guess but wasn't thought out that well imo.

that's not considering when you put a AGP card in. you'll either have to sqeeze the wires between the mobo and the AGP car or have them hang out on the other side of the card.

hate to break it to ya guys, but some of the most expensive amps in the world, esp. audiophile amps, in the world are tube amps. I'm sure it sounds badass, but I'm just worried about 1) breaking a tube, or 2) all the freaking legacy on the board. I mean, WTF? PARALLEL and SERIAL connectors, even ps2! I mean, hell, why don't they slap a connector on there for an AT keyboard? =P After getting the wonderfully legacy-free at7, I'll never go back to legacy =P

Well, a lot of people have legacy devices. And quite frankly, some of todays top of the line keyboards and mice use PS/2 still. I'll admit that parallel is almost extinct, so losing that would be no loss, but don't count the rest out yet.

Actually, though, that is a good idea. See all that space that the tubes take up? Put your legacy connectors on pci brackets that go down there and free up the rest for firewire, usb, and lan.

I'd like to know how much heat those tubes produce...

And as per what other people said, a large amount of new sound equipment of today still use tubes, you see them mostly in guitar amps though.

The tubes wouldn't produce an inordiant amount of heat, as I am sure they do not put out a large amount of power, because many computer speakers have their own amps. And, Caffenehog, changes, such as going legacy free, are always resisted by many computer users, but in the end, it always pays off. Think if we never ditched old interfaces; we'd still have AT keyboard connectors, Full Height HDDs, and 5 and a quarter drives! :D I think when all manufactures finally stop making PS/2 and serial devices, and make dedicated USB/firewire products it will be a happy day indeed :D

I think when all manufactures finally stop making PS/2 and serial devices, and make dedicated USB/firewire products it will be a happy day indeed

I agree, and also, there are ps/2 to USB adaptors (not sure about the other devices) so they really aren't even needed now, despite the fact that some companies still produce those products.

Back