• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many of you do Burn-Ins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nah... when I first get something that doesnt need a burn into work properly I either just let the component settle, or I push it immediately to test the waters... usually if its a CPU I will let it burn hard for a few days just to make sure its going to perform properly. Then I will let folding have it for a few more days... then I test it again.

Mostly for CPUs its just to let the thermal paste settle in. I have realized a few extra MHz and sometimes a more stable overclock from a long burn in at high voltage stock speed.

BaldHeadedDork said:
Same as Oni. I run Prime 95 for 24 hours on a new CPU, and usually on memory, too.

BHD

Yeah, Prime95 is the best way to burn in a CPU. Not only does it stress every part of it but it'll also terminate with a warning if something isn't right. That way you know your new config or overclock isn't stable long before it craps out when you need it.

Sandra burn-in wizard works well for memory burn in.

Well...

I'm kind of lazy. I don't burn in unless I've just overclocked something. Usually a rig at default settings won't give you too much trouble.

Only when I upgrade these things: Mobo, RAM, and CPU. Prime95 is what I use. If I still had my floppy installed I'd run memtest86 for memory.

Umm hehe I upgraded my CPU, Ram, and mobo a month ago and I never burned it in....is that something I should do? Does it increase performance at all? Or just show that its stable?

I'd had troubles with my new board/cpu/ram with random reboots and failures to load bios correctly. It would also lose bios settings and return to defaults. Since I did the Prime95 burn-in for a day, I've been trouble free.
I can't say exactly what it did for the system, but it's running real nice and reliable now for the last month.

Now if only it would help windoze with it's problems!:eek:

I fold, therefore I am in perpetual state of burn in :).

I know, in the past, lowest speeds at highest voltage for 24-48 hours would yield maybe a mhz or two on the FSB, but I guess I just don't care enough for the extra 1 or 2 mhz anymore...

Well I dont have any problems with stability so is there any point for me to burn in? My comp ran stable for 2 weeks...no problems at all...then I finally decided to restart it hehe.

Pinky said:
I fold, therefore I am in perpetual state of burn in :).

I know, in the past, lowest speeds at highest voltage for 24-48 hours would yield maybe a mhz or two on the FSB, but I guess I just don't care enough for the extra 1 or 2 mhz anymore...

thats what im talking about :)...though i never lower the speed or up the voltage arbitrarily, i normally burn in when i first get a cpu....

When I build a system for someone (friends, family). I run all sorts of tests for days. Don't want it to crap out. My system, I just overclock it and GO.

Yodums said:
If I still had my floppy installed I'd run memtest86 for memory.

You don't use a floppy anymore? Those things are so cheap nowadays. They're practically giving them away! Floppy drives are still useful for me about once or twice a year when I need to reformat.

progamer said:

You don't use a floppy anymore? Those things are so cheap nowadays. They're practically giving them away! Floppy drives are still useful for me about once or twice a year when I need to reformat.

yup ive been given 5 floppy drives or old computers with them in the last couple weeks, they really are great for fdisk and stuff like that, from www.bootdisk.com and Dr Disk i got this uber 98 bootdisk with every dos utility on it...its great for partitioning and stuff if you cant affor PM...

Back