• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your highest temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your question is a good one -- you're trying to determine the max temp the CPU can run well at. I would recommend going to AMD's site and looking up their max recommended temp for your CPU; that should be a good answer. ;)

However, I think perhaps your question should be modified: "What's the highest temp you can run stably at for an extended period of time?" Generally speaking, the longer you run these things at high temps, the shorter the lifetime of the CPU. Granted, many of us plan on upgrading often, but wouldn't it be nicer to be able to sell the CPU at the end of that time, rather than keychain it? ;) -- Paul

Good point. But while something may be rated for something, it may not be intended to operate in that condition indefinitely. The human heart is "rated" to beat up to 160 bpm+ on a healthy individual, but I sure wouldn't want to do it all the time. It can hit that rating now and again and okay, though.

My PIII-S is rated at 69C. But that's a max rating.

-- Paul

Last edited:
I've read what AMD has on their website. I was curious about real-world data though, because 90C seems a wee bit high for extended operation. I guess I kind of thought my question was implying what macklin01 said:
However, I think perhaps your question should be modified: "What's the highest temp you can run stably at for an extended period of time?" Generally speaking, the longer you run these things at high temps, the shorter the lifetime of the CPU. Granted, many of us plan on upgrading often, but wouldn't it be nicer to be able to sell the CPU at the end of that time, rather than keychain it?

Has anyone run their cpu at extremely high temps for long periods of time?

Thanks. I kinda' thought that might be what you were getting at, but I wanted to be sure ...

Sorry I can't help give you a specific answer, though. I generally work with the cooler temps of the tualatin core so I can have a quieter PC. ;)

I hope you find the answer you were looking for. -- Paul

i believe the highest staple temp ive ever had was 60 degrees and i then removed the case side after an hour or so cause i wanted to see how much of a difference the case side made

-KingZielke

Hmm. Okay, on that note, I turned the fan completely off on a PIII tualatin and ran it for a half hour to see how the temps would do. I got nervous and turned the fan back on when the temps reached the mid 50's, but stability still seemed good. -- Paul

Right now my 1800+ is running 1736 stable at 51* celsius at full load. I can't get 153... but I've yet to try 152. Wish me luck.

Btw voltage is upped to 1.775 which on my power supply fluctuates from 1.74 to 1.87. God Aren't L&C's great. (****es on his power supply)

DaBigJ said:

This thread was not started so that people could brag about their temps, whether they be high or low. It was started with the idea that perhaps the max safe temp is higher than a lot of you would imagine.

OMG! A bunch of hardware buffs don't like their chips running any hotter than they have to be? Wow, that goodness I was sitting down for that one. :rolleyes: It's no suprise that o/cers like their chips to be running far below spec. Sure the maximum "safe" temp is higher than we might like our chips to be running at, but I can think of many benefits of lower temperature (longer chip life, increased stability of the entire system, less extreme cooling solutions) and a total of zero benefits of a higher temp.

As far as I can tell, there is only one benefit to running the higher temp: reduced noise. Just what temp level is set as acceptable depends on your goals as far as how long the CPU should last, what your noise tolerance is, and how far you plan to overclock.

But in general, I would have to agree with your statement. There are many benefits to be reaped for running the chip at a conservative temp level. -- Paul

Cullam3n said:
My duron 800 works perfectly fine at 82c. Core has melted a bit but still works like a charm. =)

-PC

my former Athlon 900 ran also at appox. that temp stressed (82c -83c).
this was because my thermal paste had dried out during time :eek:, i did not noticed this before i installed the Asusprobe again, and saw that temps (78c Idle).

mine however did not meld, like you'rs did, but ckuikly bough some thermal paste, and applied it, safe, and went to 58c idle after that.
now it's sold.

cputemps.jpg

They usually range from 54 to 58C each. I am aiming for quiet just now, not cool.

System is rock solid.

David

macklin01 said:
Hey, David, what kind of hdd do you have that supports temp monitoring? Thanks! -- Paul

Seagate Barracuda ATA100 7200rpm 40Gig.

ST340016A is the model #.

David

Ah, thanks! As far as I can tell, the WD's don't support it. :(

Hmmm, higher CPU temps and a barracuda ... sounds to me like a quiet PC enthusiast! ;) I salute you! :)

Actually, that's part of the reason I chose a PIII tualatin platform. -- Paul

macklin01 said:
Ah, thanks! As far as I can tell, the WD's don't support it. :(

Hmmm, higher CPU temps and a barracuda ... sounds to me like a quiet PC enthusiast! ;) I salute you! :)

Actually, that's part of the reason I chose a PIII tualatin platform. -- Paul

Yeah, I want a quiet PC. Dual XP1600+s is plenty performance, i just want it dead quiet so i can let it fold 24/7.

Its getting quieter day by day, just need some sound absorbing stuff. My temps are awful tho. I may need to actually add a case fan if they get much worse (>60C).

David

What size fans are you using on your CPU's? If 60mm, might I recommend the Akasa 60 -> 80mm adapter? I use it on my Tt 6cu with a 30 dBA, 37 CFM 80mm fan, and it works like a charm!

I've heard mixed reviews about the sound-absorbing materials. You might well do better to use some standard foam in the base of the PC ...

Are you using rubber washers between the case fans and case, etc.?

Just curious -- it's fun to compare notes! :D -- Paul

Back