• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

I am picking out comonents for a new PC for my friend. I postes this in general hardware, but I dont think a lot of people go there, and it seems that it would fit here. Anyway, I made a wishlist on newegg, except I didnt want to signup just to show it, so i put the list on tripod. Anyhoo...........here it is
http://senior_honez.tripod.com/wish.html
All suggestions are appreciated

The only things missing are a new keybord and mouse.

And as far as being picky is concerned, I recommend using a Sparkle brand power supply.

Other than that you have all the goods.

Are you going to be painting or modding it for him?

ya, well I figured for th emouse and keyboard he should go to a store and try em out. No I will not be modding it. I needed to cut down on price somewere and that was on the case.

TheFrag said:
ya, well I figured for th emouse and keyboard he should go to a store and try em out. No I will not be modding it. I needed to cut down on price somewere and that was on the case.
Good deal.

He can always mod it later.

the biggest PSU I can find by sparkle is 400 watt. Should I get that or have some more overhead room with the one I had picked out

Sparkle 400 should do fine. It is a good quality psu. I would also recommend Antec. In any case, a good 400 Watt is better than a cheap 500 watt any day.

i might change the RAM to something a little cheaper. I won't be runnig real high FSBs. I am also switching out the 2 80gigs for a single 120 and switched to the sparkle.

Well, it was to much so I switched from a R9700 to a ti4600 and from an xp2400 to a 2100. I also now am just gonan use a single 80gig Special Edition. I doubt he will use it all, I he can always add another one if he does. I also switched the PSU to the Sparkle and the ram from Corsair to Geil. I will talk to him later today and if he thinks it is to much, i am gonna have to drop off 200 bucks by going from 1gig of RAM to 512. Do you guys think 1 gig is overboard? O ya, link has been updated

Geil brand RAM has mixed results as far as reliability.
1 Gig of RAM gaurantees that the life span of a machine will be alot longer.

1gig is overboard imho so long as you leave slots open with 512. Because ram prices are high as hell right nowand memory is a VERY easy upgrade so long as he has a slot open for it.

Sparkle power supplies are very high quality.
A sparkle 300watt has better measures then some of the cheap 430/450watts I've seen. (If I remember I saw a powmax/leadman 430watt with something like 10.0A on 3.3)

I've got an older sparkle 300watt (175 on 3.3 + 5), and It's Dead on at every voltage except the 12's (which I've NEVER seen even close to accurate on any power supply, they always seem high) so they are quality Power supplies. I can't read the measures on the Sparkle 400watt at newegg. I'd check around to be sure they are better than the 350watt version newegg sells,(because they are different lines so there will be variance.)

Buy SAMSUNG, not Geil memory

Speakers look ok, but if I were spending that much, I'd get better speakers.

Nice hard disk

Nice monitor

Heatsink looks fine

I'd get the Smartfan 2 instead of the YS-tech, it has a broader range.

Video Card looks sweet

Why so much AS3?

Gonna use onboard sound?

Gail is better than samsung, IMO. And those speakers are cheap, he isnt a real audiophile, neither am i

Back