• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back in the building game after almost 20 years

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigZ1981

Registered
Hi friends!
It's been a long time since I have had the opporunity to make a new build, and now here I am again. My last build was an AthlonXP rig back in 2001. That rig served me for a good 8 years (lost possession of it during hardship). After getting back on my feet, I have been using laptops out of neccessity. I am now in the market to build a new rig, and having been on the fringes for so long, I'm needing some info on building a really good mid-range rig.

Here's what I'm looking for in components:

CPU: Ryzen ~$200 (looking to do a bit of OC, might use a liquid cooling solution)
Cooling: HS/F vs a liquid cooling system (always open for suggestions on budget-priced liquid cooling solutions) also would love to have paste suggestions...last one I used was AS5. Anyone still seeing a need for lapping heatsinks?
Mobo: Best one to go with the CPU recommended (want to support up to 32GB RAM)
Graphics: Radeon best bang for buck prefereably want to be as high on bitrate & RAM while still staying around $300 (it was not promising when browsing through newegg)
RAM: 16 or 32GB paired (not too worried about timings
PSU: recommended power rating to properly power components, modular cabling
Case: windowed recommendations welcome, would really not care to spend over $75 for a case, though.
SSD: 1TB preferred, longest lasting that can fit within my budget.

I would prefer to spend $600 - $800, but I'm placing a max hard stop at $1000

I expect this rig to be a combination of work/light gaming/twitch streaming rig. I will be using external hardware for A/V processing, but will be some encoding to push it to OBS. Planning on a W10/F32 dual boot.

Also looking for a good online merchant to ship to San Antonio, TX. Last build was done through Newegg, not sure if they are still as good as they once were.

Z

Last edited:
Just search through reviews in your price range based on the platform/mobo you want. Newegg gives pretty good reviewers who specify what components work etc. That way you're not left with a surprise or worse, parts you wish you hadn't bought. I'd get a ryzen too but intel has a hell of a lot of support as well across the 'board', pun intended. Personally for that much you sound like you'd be better off with a prebuilt system. You want something more in the $1500 range.

Ryzen 5 3600

Arctic MX4 for the thermal paste (AS5 has fallen out of favor)

No lapping anymore. Doesn't really improve cooling results and ruins warranty on CPU.

ASRock B550M Pro (good VRM section and great heatsink!)

GSkill Ripjaws or GSkill Tident Z for RAM 3600 mhz.

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA, 80 Plus Gold 650W

Fractal Design Meshify C Mini Black Micro ATX High-Airflow Compact Tinted Tempered Glass Window Mid Tower Computer Case

Water cooler: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Liquid-...ords=240mm+water+cooler&qid=1612451745&sr=8-8

Because of COVID supply and demand issues, some components are more expensive than usual. Especially video cards because of the additional price push of the bitcoin mining craze demand. They are outrageous right now.

Don't worry about overclocking the current generation of Ryzens. Not much if anything to be gained there because they are already binned high. May even lose something when gaming if overclocked because you lose single core turbo.

Back