• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something's wrong here...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_poche

I was just browsing the net when suddenly , my computer resets and I cant boot anymore.
So I unplugged everything and boot with only CPU RAM and video card. It boots fine , so I add stuff one by one and when I plug my DVD , it will boot only once in a while.
No big deal ,I thought, I fried my DVD. So i plug everything back except the dvd , and go into the BIOS to redo all my settings(since i clreared the CMOS) and put my usual 170*9 that "usually" give me 1530mhz and save & exit. Well, at the POST screen , it says 1731 mhz! (not the usual XP2000+ or any of that PR and keep in mind i never even POSTed over 1700 before)
So i prepare myself for a crash while loading windows, but no , it booted. I check WCPUID and it tells me I run at 1045mhz (99.58*10.5)

Did this ever happened to anyone? Now , whatever I set the fsb or multi , its always 99.58*10.5 (thats in windows , at POST its always 1731)

Im gonna try a new BIOS and see if it fixs anything, btw its an MSI 745Ultra (SIS745) with a XP1600.

Im gonna cry! I think i figured it out . It wasnt 1731 , it was showing , but 1743 , wich is 170*10.5 , so I think my work on the L1 bridges is messed up or something and it defaults back to 10.5 , and when it try to do 170*10.5 , it just cant boot so it set it back to 100. :( If anything's wrong with the L1s, that could cause more troubles too, argh! I dont want to unlock this thing again!

if the Bios flash doesn't work , I would look at your Unlocking efforts on the chip. If you used conductive paint a piece may have flaked off from heat and vibration from the Cooler fan. You might clean it off and try unlocking it again. opening one of the bridges may have locked the multi at 10.5

Well I cleaned of the conductive paint and look carefully to make sure none were left and even with the new BIOS and 133 FSB , still no normal boot , it still takes a few try before it boot correctly , but the real speed is back :) I now know what I'll ask for christmas :(

Tismedt said:
At that fsb it is possible you have some hdd corruption.

Not really , 170 with a 1/5 divider the PCI bus is at 34 instead of 33.25mhz , not much of a difference.And also , the problem occurs before even the OS load , sometime it wont POST , well actually i cant reboot , I have to unplug the powersupply, at least from what i tried , unplugging will work.

Just to clear up a point you brought up... you said "Not really , 170 with a 1/5 divider the PCI bus is at 34 instead of 33.25mhz , not much of a difference"

true enough about the Hard drive maybe not being the culprit itself, But the Hard drive just writes what is sent to it from memory. If there was data corruption at the memory level, (Because of the high FSB) the Corrupted data could have been written to the Hard drive. The drive wouldn't know the difference. The problem wouldn't show up until that bit was read back to memory to be used. Bang! lock-up.

I think most Data corruption on the Hard drive is not caused by the drive, but is Corrupted data being written to it from memory. All the drive sees is 1's and 0's. It will write bad data along with the Good. Then problems show up when that bad data is needed by the system.

Good point , but still , my memory is pc2700(333mhz) so that this is still only 4mhz overclock for the memory.

But then it could be the chipset or something else, but it turned out to be that my cpu relocked itself so i couldnt boot at 1700mhz.

Back