• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGOIA any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quegyboe

Hey all, I looked into getting an XP 2000+ from my local comp store today, and they have one in stock, retail with HSF. The core stepping is AGOIA, which works for me since the ECS K7S5A can only run Tbred A's, but I wanted to know how good this stepping is for overclocking. Any input?

AGOIA IS PALOMINO, and the motherboard doesn't even work that well with any tbreds, yes you can enable the SSE in windows, but what's the point if windows itself can't use it? unless u have an XP chip right now, install Windows on that chip and then install the Tbred, but if the core is square shaped and the writing is ON the core then its a Palomino, but if its a Good AGOIA like "Y" or "K" then you prolly could squeeze about 1800-1900MHz out of the chip

make sure you know what your doing before you buy that chip. the k7s5a is NOT an overclocking board - and i can tell you now you wont be getting 1800mhz from an athlonxp1600 with some serious hardware modding.

james.miller said:
make sure you know what your doing before you buy that chip. the k7s5a is NOT an overclocking board - and i can tell you now you wont be getting 1800mhz from an athlonxp1600 with some serious hardware modding.

I'm well aware of the fact that the ECS board is not an overclocking board, I was just wondering how good this CPU is for the sake of future boards I plan to buy (either KT400 or Nforce2).

You guys say this is a Palomino? Does that mean it's better for the ECS board then? Right now I just want an XP that will run properly. Overclocking it would be later on, if ever. I might just get a new XP with my Nforce...

oh well then, im sorry for saying - but also be aware that there are other people who read these threads - you are not the only person who has asked this question you know.

anyway, the agioa is a pally, theres no doubt about that. it is also the best pally steping you can get (i think the absolute best is the agioa y 0224 but i might be wrong).

people have reported that the t/bred 1800 is better than the pally 1800, but you should read the amd cpu thread regarding that.

fact is -since you will be upgrading (you should have said that in your first post lol) then id reccomend the xp1600 pally or the xp1800 t/bred if you can find one (at least - i think its an 1800 - you'll have to check on that). again refer to the cpu thread for stepping info.

hope that helps

ps oh and ive not heard of any problems with t/breads on the k7s5a

Last edited:
james.miller said:

completely untrue, look at my primary rig, the cpu is still locked, but yeah temps are a bit high. Ill reaply AS3 and unlock it, i might hig 1900, or ill just camp at 1950.

that is what i meant.

will he get 1.8ghz from an unlocked xp1600 with a k7s5a?
no - because you cant select the multiplier without doing the multiplier mod on the motherboard. So, unlocking the cpu in his case is useless - because his unlocked cpu would just run @ its defult multi and it cant be change with that board.

The highest he can realistically expect from a xp1600 is 1510mhz (143.7 x 10.5) without hardware modding (of the motherboard, NOT the cpu).

That is why i originally suggested a cpu with a higher multi, because the boards a fsb limited.

Back