• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I do good? Unlocked 2600+ at 2261 Mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawyerLynn

I'd like some feedback on what I have done. I purchased what I thought was a 266 FSB Athlon XP 2600+. However, it turned out to be a 333 FSB version of the chip. My motherboard, despite being a Via KT333 chipset board, does not support a 1/5 divisor. Therefore, when I upped the FSB to 166 to run the chip at Spec. (12.5 x 166 = 2075 Mhz.) the PCI and AGP bus were also overclocked (to 42 Mhz and 84 Mhz respectively) and the system was very unstable and I had a real fear of data loss on my RAID setup. To remedy the situation, using a single edge razor blade, I cut the 4th and 5th L3 bridges on the chip so they now look like this . . . . . .
- - |- -
. . . . .
This gave me access to 16.5 multipliers and above (the chip comes with only 12.5 and lower multipliers available). Since my board is sensitive to an OC'd pci bus I used the board's preferred 133 FSB setting but set the CPU's multiplier at 17 and ramped the CPU's voltage up to 1.70. The system now runs at a very stable and fast 2261 Mhz. Approximately 200 Mhz over its intended speed.

I'd like some feed back on how well (or badly) I've done in the situation. Are my Sandra scores of 6209 MIPS and 3071 MFlops worthy of bragging about. Oh, yeah, I'm using a coolermaster HHC-001 Heatpipe HSF setup, CPU averages a 36 degree Celcius temp on average loads. I assume this is pretty good for aircooling in the circumstance.

:burn:

I did get the scores from Sandra but also verified w/ SOYO that the board did not support a 1/5 divisor and 166/4 = 41.5 so the Sandra scores were on target when it reported 42 for the PCI bus and 84 for the AGP bus.

You should be able to get SOME overclock from the bus/pci bus... 155mhz is a safe overclock without risking damage to hard drive data or crashing. This is a general rule of thumb, there are exceptions (like TV tuner cards and hard drives that can't run 37mhz pci, etc).

Back