• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawyerLynn

Just a friendly question, which is better, a T-Bred running with a 17X multiplier and a 138 FSB or one running with a 16.5 multiplier and a 140 FSB? My system runs well and stable at either setting but upping the FSB to 140 with the 17 multi results in instability.

30 mhz diff and 2 fsb diff.its so small id say doesnt really matter much.BUT the 140fsb will oc everything so go with that imo.

i agree with death, go with 16.5 and 140. the 2 point increase in fsb speed from 138 to 140, is proportionally much larger than the 36 increase in clock speed from 2310 to 2346. so that would presumably mean the higher fsb speed would increase overall system performance more noticeably, not to mention that just makes sense. if we are talking real world however, either one probably wont show a difference. cheers

agree as well and in general increasing the multi u force ur data go through more cycles if u can say that, not sure how to say this.

Fever said:
140 FSB... But why not drop the multi much lower and use a much higher FSB? :confused:

My Motherboard doesn't have a 1/5 Divider so I am limited in doing this since overclocking the PCI bus makes my system unstable. No matter what setting I use, if my FSB is over 142 I starting having regular visits from the Blue Screen of Death:( I've "engineered" the L3 Bridges on the CPU so that 16.5 is the lowest I can go as far as Multipliers. I'd love to run at 12.5 with a 166 FSB as the chip was desisgned to do, but the system won't do that. running less than that is silly since that is what the chip is designed for. My solution was to up the multi and use the fastest safe FSB I could. :burn:

140FSB. What matters in the system is bus (MHz as well but when comparing side by side). FSB goes throughout the system - PCI Bus, AGP Bus, Memory (Bandwidth) etc. Whereas clock speed is only beneficial to the CPU.

Yodums

Just another friendly question, what timings do you have your ram set?
Do you have the XMS with black heatspreaders? That's what i have in my sig. What i wan't to find out is why i can't use turbo timings @ 166. Could it be a lack of voltage? Bum stick?

specific said:
Just another friendly question, what timings do you have your ram set?
Do you have the XMS with black heatspreaders? That's what i have in my sig. What i wan't to find out is why i can't use turbo timings @ 166. Could it be a lack of voltage? Bum stick?

My Heat spreaders are Platinum colored and the timings are set at their optimal settings (CAS 2, 5T, etc.) As for the Turbo settings, I've never been able to get them to work on this board no matter what CPU, RAM etc. I have used. I gave up on that idea back when I was using an XP1900+ (but I have tried it with the current CPU, again, no go). It could be a voltage question, I'm not sure about that. I've got my CPU running at 1.75 volts to handle the OC but I'm reluctant to up my memory voltage. A fried CPU is easier and more cost effective to replace than Corsair XMS RAM is.

Since your CPU is a 333 FSB CPU, I would definately go with the higher FSB. Your really limiting your CPU by keeping the FSB low, get a new mobo quick! ;)

Back