• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

grams!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hippopotumus

Registered
i just got my sk-7 and vantec tornado in today..(ordered sunday, recieved today tuesday THANKS newegg!!)

fan is 175grams...sk-7 is alot more. that won't crush my delicate amd xp 2000+ !?!?!!?! first time putting on a heatsink...i'll take my time. but these things seem really heavy

Shouldn't be too heavy for your proc at all. As long as you put on the heatsink right, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

DO NOT tip the heatsink or let it rock while installing and you'll come out fine. If you let it slip be wary of a chipped core. Just thought I'd put the fear of god in ya! ;) In all seriousness, just take your time and keep it level. You'll turn out just fine.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do you have any thermal compound to use with it?

-Toysrme

The clip and your installation of the heatsink put a lot more pressure on your CPU than the weight of it. If you're worried, that core can take several kilograms of pressure as long as you mount the heatsink correctly. It's poor heatsink installation that cracks cores.
The big risk with heavy heatsinks is in moving the computer around. If you bang it around too much, it could break the tabs off the socket. That's why that heatsink uses all three tabs. This greatly reduces the risk of that. The only thing better is using the four holes in the motherboard, and that's more dangerous to instal because of the risk of uneven pressure.
IMHO, you should be perfectly fine with that heatsink.

P.S. 175 grams is about 6 oz, or about half the weight of a can of pop. That's not too heavy. There are many heatsinks that weigh over 300g.

150 grams is just the weight of the fan though. the sink weighs bout 400 if I'm not mistaken totla bout 550 grams. thats alot more than a can of pop.

and a pop doesnt weigh 12 oz. there are 12 fluid ounces in a pop. i am gonna step out on a limb and say that a can of pop actually wieghs about 1.5 - 2 lbs. if i am wrong please correct me

he is corret fluid ounces are vlume not weight and volume is the amount of space something takes up...
then u converting grams to ounces really boggles me why not keep it simple and in metric u went from metric to what we call standard...

metric>everything else. I dunno why the US just won't change, it's so dumb here :eek:

Not quite, ib69nu. A can of pop is 355mL, which is roughly equal to 355g of weight (assuming that pop has a density basically the same as water)... that gives a result of around eight tenths of a pound.

Quite a threadjacking this has been, eh...

hippopotumus said:
i just got my sk-7 and vantec tornado in today..(ordered sunday, recieved today tuesday THANKS newegg!!)

fan is 175grams...sk-7 is alot more. that won't crush my delicate amd xp 2000+ !?!?!!?! first time putting on a heatsink...i'll take my time. but these things seem really heavy

Think of it this way, AMD recomends 14lbs - 24lbs clamp pressure on the chip so the weight of the HSF doesnt really pose a threat.

ib69nu said:
and a pop doesnt weigh 12 oz. there are 12 fluid ounces in a pop. i am gonna step out on a limb and say that a can of pop actually wieghs about 1.5 - 2 lbs. if i am wrong please correct me
*Pulls out hydrometer from beer making, plops it into 2 liter bottle of rootbeer*

Hmm... density 1.05.
1.05 X 12 Fl. Oz. = 12.6 oz.

OK, it's more than 12 oz.:D

wow talk about thread hijacking. only aty overclockers forums wil you have people not only arguing about the word for soda/pop/coke/pepsi/ but also its density/weight and the fact that the US is still in the stone age by not adopting the metric system.

snvpa said:
wow talk about thread hijacking. only aty overclockers forums wil you have people not only arguing about the word for soda/pop/coke/pepsi/ but also its density/weight and the fact that the US is still in the stone age by not adopting the metric system.

Only here. Other forums? You'd be flamed or banned.

OOh... hey, I think I just added another topic to this thread!

But back to the original question....
There are lots of heavier heatsinks out there. Waterblocks can be as bad, if not worse. Basically, you're perfectly safe unless you are taking your computer on a long, bumpy journey.

ok,
1. It's soda, not pop.

2. In the US, we like to do things OUR way! You can keep your metric system.
(just kidding - i don't think either is better, they're both just different)

3. As was already mentioned, that clip will put far more pressure on the cpu than the actual weight of the heatsink/fan ever will.

Back