• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build comments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creyldor

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since I built a new machine but I thought I would look at this for a parts list, I wondered if anyone had any comments. Usage for the pc would be gaming and general use. Caveat on this general use means heavy use of virtual machines.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor £417.97
NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card
Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case £139.99
Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I am still torn on putting in a Creative soundcard (an AZ-5 or AZ-8), I've always had a soundcard my last and still operating being a creative xfi Fatal1ty so interested in feedback on that particular choice. I have some speakers which would plug in.
I won't be replacing monitors or keyboards this time around. And I have spinning disks I'd plug in the the above is the new core.

Thoughts ?

Couple of quick comments:
- How many virtual machine at the same time? 32GB may or may not be enough here.
- What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?
- What games are you typically playing?
- Newer integrated sound is very good, try that first before buying a sound card IMO.

No you are right,

However 32 gig currently covers it I can push anything else to a dedicated k8s cluster I have elsewhere, I can always expand the ram later max I've run at the current time is 4xmachines running 4 gig each, which leaves overhead for the os. However suggestions for ram at 64 gig welcome :)

I also forgot 4k gaming is not currently an option I currently run two of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H3JIGHA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share which are my work and gaming monitors. Games played on my pc include, metro exodus, fortnite (kids), elite dangerous, and cool stuff that comes out that doesn't make sense on playstation, I may well upgrade the monitors later but the above setup is already quite expensive.

The 2070 will be fine for 1080p 60hz on your games, might have to upgrade it if you ever go to 4k or 144hz for gaming.

I would substitute G.Skill memory for the Kingston. We have frequent reports on the forum of compatibility issues on the Ryzen platform when paired with Kingston RAM. Being as how you will be using a large amount of RAM it behooves you to make every effort to ensure memory compatibility. Kingston will work but not necessarily at full advertised speed.

I would substitute G.Skill memory for the Kingston. We have frequent reports on the forum of compatibility issues on the Ryzen platform when paired with Kingston RAM. Being as how you will be using a large amount of RAM it behooves you to make every effort to ensure memory compatibility. Kingston will work but not necessarily at full advertised speed.

To add on top of this, G.Skill makes a series of RAM specifically for Ryzen, but your motherboard's webpage should have a compatibility list of RAM as well.

Back