• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dividor question / system bus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

OK , ignore my post count I still consider myself a newbie in overclocking , so there is probably a very smple answer to what I am about to ask but I will anyway.

I understand the reason for the 1/4 , 1/5 , and 1/6 divisor , your other components have to run at 33mhz .

My question is why are they STILL running at that speed ?

It seems like with all the advances we have made in speeding everything else up why not the PCI bus and other stuff ?

They are still running at that speed for the simple reason that they dont need to be run anyfaster. For the time being, 33mhz is plenty of bandwidth. A sound card really dosent need that much.
If they were to go faster, it would make mobos more expensive.

I thought we were overclockers ?

Don't we always NEED more ? :p

I have heard people talk about getting a performance boost from having it clocked at 40 as long as you are lucky enough to still have stability.

PCI comes in the following flavors:

32-bit, 33Mhz
64-bit, 33Mhz
64-bit, 66Mhz

Then there's PCI-X, which works at the following speeds:
64-bit, 66Mhz
64-bit, 100Mhz
64-bit, 133Mhz

Desktop PCI has always operated at 33Mhz because that is the standard. If it were raised to say 50Mhz, then manufactures would have to guarantee that it would run all 33Mhz cards without issue. And that's not going to happen.

32-bit PCI speed could be increased as well. But since PCI-X has a 64-bit channel anyways, it's reasonable for the standard to be 64-bit.

Back