• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Settings changed!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aerohaith

well, i am administrator of my own pc , and i was tweaking xp, then when i restarted xp,windows kinda logged in to a new account (admin) and couldn't let me log on to my old one, saying something about the password not matching, which it accepted the same password for admin. i think i've used this tweak:

You can edit the registry to do this, however your password will not be hidden anymore, but that's up to you:
Here is how:

Open notepad, and copy n' paste the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultUserName"="USERNAME"
"DefaultPassword"="PASSWORD"
"DefaultDomainName"="COMPUTER NAME"

Replace USERNAME, PASSWORD AND COMPUTER NAME with the values you want, then
save the file as a .reg file

Dblclick on it, thats it.

If you change your mind about the autologon here is how to undo it:

Open notepad, and copy n' paste the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"AutoAdminLogon"=-
"DefaultUserName"=-
"DefaultPassword"=-
"DefaultDomainName"=-

Save the file as a .reg file

Dblclick on it, thats it.

My old settings folder is there , but it doesn't log-in to it automaticlly. Also when i try creating an account of the old name, it says this name already exists...plezzzz help!

I've run into the same wierd stuff without a tweak. "Admin" acts the same as my brothers "Scott" account, but is hidden when you start windows with the fancy WinXP logon screen (with icons and stuff).

I'm thinking its what is left of the Windows 98 se settings that he had. He never formatted, and just did a Winxp upgrade instead.

I dont have that problem on my system, I installed XP on a clean raid.

LOL!

ocforums helping second generations of users! Grandkids are next!

I became slightly surprised someone was running a win98 machine with winXP in 2015, then I realized the post date.

Back