• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to make Windows Defender ask you before taking action?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
July 2020:

Disabling Automatic Remediation does not work.

When you go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows Defender
Add DisableRoutinelyTakingAction DWORD
And set the value to 1.

Windows Defender still does whatever it wants whenever the heck it wants under fully patched Windows 8.1.

This is the same thing that does not work: Command Prompt (Admin) then copy, paste:

Turn off Automatic Remediation:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableRoutinelyTakingAction /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Turn on Automatic Remediation:
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableRoutinelyTakingAction /f

Actually, there is no option in Windows Defender to make it to ask you before performing any action.
This is applicable to both - Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
The actions that Windows Defender takes is built into the engine definitions.

In Short, you cannot run away from Windows Defender. If you want to then disable it permanently.

My windows defender will quarantine items found then i can confirm to either erase or allow.

Thread question is how to get Defender to do NOTHING without permission. Quarantining is taking action, I assumed that Defender cannot be made to prompt before taking action and I completely blocked Defender on a Service level so it never starts in Windows.

But decided to confirm if this is true, and it appears that it is. Defender always takes action, it cannot be set to prompt you before taking action.

Back