• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtymabel

Registered
need to split up inlet water line to cpu waterblock, northbride waterblock and videocard waterblock. don't like the fact that my cool water has to go thru the cpu then nb and then the videocard. currently using a eheim 1048. any ideas. is there like a 3 way split fitting that i can use. also would like to use either 1/2 id water line or 3/8 id water line. here is a diagram of what i have now.

pump---cpu inlet---cpuoutlet---nbinlet---nboutlet---videoinlet---videooutlet---radi---pump.

this is what i would like to do

cpu inlet cpu outlet
/ \
pump-----nb inlet nb outlet --- radi---pump
\ /
video inlet video outlet

thanks

you could use two y fittings which would split the flow once to cpu and one line to nb and gpu then you could use another y to split between the nb and gpu then do the same thing on the other side to put them all back together.

the advantage of this is all parts get the coolest water. HOWEVER, the temperature within the loop with decent flow does not even vary by as much as .5C so the advantage will be minimal at best, and it will probably be totally useless once you consider the flow restrictions of doing it the way you would like to.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

BTW you are new, so next time you post you might want to make sure you are in the right topic before you post... anything water cooling should be posted in the water cooling section. its not a problem though, but you will want to post accurately in the future... sometimes a mod will move a post to the correct section when it is in the wrong one and then it may be more difficult to find your post. :)

here is the way you could do it as i explained incase it was not clear:

res/t-line-----pump-----radiator------cpu-----------------res/t-line
...............................................\.........................../
.................................................\........./gpu\......../
...................................................\----/.........\---/
..........................................................\......../
............................................................\vid/

ignore the periods, they are space fillers... the dashes and slashes represent the tubing. :) im no artist obviously.

split it with a T or a Y fitting...have not been able to find a Y fitting in home depot performance store

home depot should definetly have y fittings, they would be much better to use as they would pose much less resistance.

did you ask anyone at home depot if they had them somewhere you weren't looking? i just can't believe they didnt have y fittings! anways i would think if you went to lowes you would find them too.

BTW i recommend against doing it this way, you may want to consider more second opinions before following through with your plan. this is just my opinion though. :)

could you not lower flow resistance, by having the cpu, nb and gpu not join back together with a Y piece, but just all pour into the res?

Flow resistance isn't the issue here. Running in parallel you are dividing the flow rate with each added branch. For example, if you have 100gph flow rate and split it into 3 lines like you suggest, you will have 33gph going thru each branch (this is ignoring restrictions for simplicity's sake). As you can see, your cpu isn't gonna be very happy about that, this is why series setups are suggested. Also you're not going to find Y fittings at Lowes or Home Depot. If you still want to try this, you can get good cheap Y fittings at www.usplastic.com You might try using the Y after the cpu, split to each chipset, the use another Y to join them afterwards.

peace.
unloaded

Back