• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first time water cooler..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tzracer

Registered
ok, after smoking many M/B and CPU in the last few months, due to high heat, I thought I would try water,

MY NEW computer is going to consist of a chaintech M/B (7njs) amd 2600+ and 3-512 OC pc2700 2.0cl, ti-4800 vid,..

ok purchase list for water supplies are as follows:

CPU block: Koolance - CPU-200 Gold
N/B block : xaqua chipset
GF4 Block: xaqua geo4
Radiator : Maxxxpert
Pump : Eheim 1046 Centrifugal
tank : Innovatek Aluminum Tank
FAN : 2 X Thermaltake 120mm Case FAN both sides of rad.

I am going to put the tank, pump and rad outside the case, I have a small dorm type fridge I was going to mount tank,pump and rad inside and keep that at a nice cold setting,

Questions for all?
if the board knows if there is a fan there or not how do you override that, also with does the vid cards know if there is suppost to be a fan on them? do you have to override them also?

whats a good temp to shoot for?, it to cold bad?, do you have to worry about condensation if you get it below dew point?

since I am going to cooling 3 blocks any order the flow should go? or should I tee off the main line for the n/b and vid?

all the peices are in the mail now, should start showing up today and by the weekend I should have all the parts so I can get started.

Your dorm fridge is not going to be able to overcome the heat generated from your components in the manner you have proposed.

Especially for external setups you are much better off with a heatercore vs a radiator. Heatercores offer better flowrate and ability to exchange heat.

Try reading some of the stickies in the forum!

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149127

Also, this forum offers a search feature that answers most of the questions you have posted.

Good luck,

Wangster

Man, no offense, but that is an odd list of watercooling parts. I like how you asked specific questions I'll try and answer some of them for you:

1) Usually the fan sensor can be disabled in bios, I'm not familiar with that specific board but I'd assume it has that option too.

2) Condensation will be a problem if you go below dew point, you'll need to do some insulating of cooling and compter components if you are gonna go below. I don't think a dorm fridge will get you there tho, the subject has come up quite a bit in the extreme cooling forum and most say they are desgned for a constant heat load.

3) Usually its suggested that your water flows in series, although this adds a bit of heat after passing thru each block, it seems to be better than dividing your flow rate by the number of branches.

Hmmm, I just noticed your parts are already on the way. Once you get them, I'm sure you'll have more questions. Hope we can help you make the most of them.

peace.
unloaded

would the spray type expanding foam for insulation be good to seal the blocks to prevent condenstion? also I was thinking of adding like a 1-2 gallon resevor in side the fridge and precooling that, then there would be enough precool fuild to prevent any change in temp.,,.

put the rad in the lowest part of the fridge and the tank and stuff up on the second sheelve, the fridge currently empty stays at about 40F(6~c) at the coldest setting, with all componet total being less than 120watts heat output at max power the fridge is rated to handel that theremal transfer.

why do you say thats a strange list?, any suggestion on something different? After much reading I was under the impression that while some not being the best, the components I choose were all pretty good stuff..

I would consider getting a much higher head pump for the number of WBs you have in your system.

Here's a little experiment you can try. Put a small lamp with a 120W light bulb in the fridge along with a thermometer. Leave it on for a few days straight, checking the temp occaisionally. It would be better if you could read the temps without opening it somehow. I'm not sure what will happen, but I'd be interested in what ya find. Also I'm not sure if lightbulb ratings equate to heat, but I'm sure somebody around here could tell us.

About the condensation and insulation, you should check the sticky threads in Extreme Cooling forum. You'll find lots better info than I could give ya on the subject. I've never cooled below ambiant temps.

peace.
unloaded

Back