• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Size?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sn0rKy

how big should a socket a water block be?
does size really matter?

edit: how fast does water run up? before you need to add more water to your resevoir etc.?

Last edited:
I would prefer a Socket A WB to be large enough to mount with mounting holes versus socket lugs.

Do you mean how fast the water is sucked up from the pump while pushing through the rest of the closed system during fill/bleed?

like how fast does the water disappear,, or whatever.. before you need to add more?

and what dimensions for a socket a water block?

It's easiest to make one that goes out to the mounting holes... Usually 2" by 3".

However... as long as it's touching the entire core surface, then it's fine. I ounce saw one that was just a square roughly the size of the core that they had thermal epoxied on to the chip. Worked well for the time. I know it was on an Athlon. Basically it was a 90 degree bend.

The one I'm making will be 2" by 3" but very slimline. Copper will be here Wed, but may take a few weeks to get aroung to making it.

Edit: Not sure what you mean about water dissapearing. That shouldn't happen in a closed system. Some people use eveaporative type cooling (bongs) and they do loose water. In a closed system if you are losing water something is wrong.

like when the water touches something hot.. it turns into water vapors.. a gas? when do you usually add more water?

your water is not vaporizing in a normal water cooled loop. the only gases involved are from evaporation... so you do have to periodically add water to your loop (even if it's closed) but I do not have a water loop and I do not remember how often you have to fill.

We'll say that after you get the air out of the loop for the first time... If you're adding water more than every 6 months something is wrong. There should be VERY little evaporation in a closed loop system (hence the use of the word closed).

How often do you add water to your car's closed loop water cooling system?

If you're going to run a bong (doubtful) then it's more like every day unless you design for it. I would have to fill a 2 litre about every other day.

Shroomer said:
It's easiest to make one that goes out to the mounting holes... Usually 2" by 3".

However... as long as it's touching the entire core surface, then it's fine. I ounce saw one that was just a square roughly the size of the core that they had thermal epoxied on to the chip. Worked well for the time. I know it was on an Athlon. Basically it was a 90 degree bend.

The one I'm making will be 2" by 3" but very slimline. Copper will be here Wed, but may take a few weeks to get aroung to making it.

Edit: Not sure what you mean about water dissapearing. That shouldn't happen in a closed system. Some people use eveaporative type cooling (bongs) and they do loose water. In a closed system if you are losing water something is wrong.

how thick of a piece of copper?

Seriously... Not trying to insult you, but right now you should do a lot of reading and a little posting instead of the other way around.

1: Read the stickys
2: Search the forum
3: Search the web
4: Post your questions
5: Build a nice system the FIRST time.

Trust me, I made the same mistake of just jumping in... not just once, but TWICE before I learned to take it slow. I've been working on my system since OCTOBER! I think it's down to just buying a few more things and then I can start installing.

Shroomer said:

Trust me, I made the same mistake of just jumping in... not just once, but TWICE before I learned to take it slow. I've been working on my system since OCTOBER! I think it's down to just buying a few more things and then I can start installing.
Trust me, I made the same mistake of just jumping in... not just once, but TWICE before I learned to take it slow.

and.. i dont like to do things slow.. im impatient.once i get hyped out about something i want.. i want it more and more.. and try to get at it

not trying to insult u.. but why u start buying since october? and no build once u get it? prices drop.

Sn0rKy said:
how big should a socket a water block be?
does size really matter?

No, it'a all in how you use it! ;) :D

Actually, it's a lot like the whole heatsink thing. Unless you have very fast flowing turbulent water in your block, more mass is better, because it spreads the heat more quickly. Of course, this only matters to a point... at some point, there is just too much thick copper above.
As already mentioned, do your research!

... Just the cooling system, not the components. I've added components since then.

I have a brand new tower case, modified pump, heater core, and now some copper. I will be busy this weekend, but I think next weekend will be my start date, but it depends on weather.

Back