• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9500NP idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Albuquerque said:
The shim itself isn't vital, the only problem is the possibility of crushing your video core ala an AMD processor. You need to make sure your choice of heatsink is attached firmly AND the pressure is distributed evenly over the core. If you get too crazy with it (ie unbalanced pressure or too much pressure) you can crack the core.

And that nets you a fully functional doorstop. :)

What if i put some springs from an old 8045 on the back? I'm assuming that would help distribute the pressure more evenly?

I wouldn't even worry about that... You don't need one kiloton of pressure to effectively cool it! ;) Lap your HS down, spread a tiny thin layer of your choosen heatsink grease, and mount the sink nicely to the card. Use no more force than is absolutely necessary to keep the sink from being "movable"...

You know what I used? Take an old parallel cable apart at the D25 connector (where it plugs into your computer) and grab those big long thumbscrew thingies out of the connector. Use those on the HS side, and use a pair of matching nuts on the backside. Tighten them enough so that the HS has no way to wobble, and just keep looking at the card from the side so you can see how evenly the HS is clamping down on the core compared to the plane of the card itself.

No need to make it uber-difficult ;) Just don't try ratcheting it down with eight billion pounds of torque; you only want to ensure it doesn't move; you're not trying to secure it against a nuclear blast :)

Namagomi said:

What is the 9700 mod success rate?
Around 50%

Volt-mod success?
Not sure what you mean... it's only not successful if you screw up.. everyone i have seen Vmod have got an increase.. probably 80%+ get verry large increases.

How many predrilled holes does the card have in it? 2 are on the stock cooler, but i was wondering if there were more holes in the card itself.

What in the ID (inside diameter) of the holes? Approxmiately.
55mm

What are the best ramsinks for this beast?
Tweakmonster BGA sinks or ones you cut yourself.

Are there any better ways to mount a 60mm heatsink on a 9500np?
If the shim is level with the core then supergule on the shim and as3 on the core works well.

Would a 70mm TMD fan be better than say, a 60mm stealth fan?
I dunno, it depends

Oh, i thought you were talking about how far apart the holes are lol. I think the holes might be like 4mm. I measured some pins from the crappola iceberq 4 and it said 3mm.

q149 said:
Oh, i thought you were talking about how far apart the holes are lol. I think the holes might be like 4mm. I measured some pins from the crappola iceberq 4 and it said 3mm.

Haha, much better. Sorry for the mix up, I'm just trying to see how thick a bolts I can use.

Also, I'm guessing the iceberq isn't the best around?

Last edited:
holy CRAP. i just got the cooling stuff for the card today, and this 70mm mag lev sunnon fan totally owns.

I don't know how many of you have had experience with a mag lev fan, but wow. i've never seen so much air get moved so quietly. This thing definitly won't need a fan controller after all. Let me reiterrate, when you think of maglev fans, think:
kiku.GIF

Last edited:
Are you referring to tip magnetic drive sorta thing, or are these "mag lev" fans something even different from that? I know those TMD's are pretty nifty little devices, I was gonna buy one for my cheap rig in my sig.

Never did, only because -- well dammit it's a cheap rig! ;)

Albuquerque said:
Are you referring to tip magnetic drive sorta thing, or are these "mag lev" fans something even different from that?

No, not TMD, maglev.

This is the only maglev fan i know of, and it's sad, because it's a redheaded stepchild of a size (70mmx15mm). It's totally quiet, and still moves a good 35cfm. But here, check it out

Mag Lev

TMD

See the diff? mag lev looks like a normal fan, and totally owns. I don't understand why more arn't made in larger sizes. Besides, they are only 7-8 bucks online, too!

Wow, thanks for the reply! I'm not finding much documentation on what makes it different, but I would assume just from "Magnetic Levitation" that it doesn't use standard bearings but instead a magnetic field to keep the blades suspended and away from the center pole.

Which I suppose could make for not only a quieter fan, but also one that uses less power because of a tiny bit less drag versus a true ballbearing unit. Guessing they probably used natural magnets then instead of electromagnets, otherwise your total power savings would be a wash...

yeah, I don't know much about them either, but i do know they rock. Apparently the fan assembely is totaly seprated from the hub, so it cuts down on friction, which reduces heat output, and power consumption, not to mention vibration noise.

Also, I got the tweakmonster ramsinks, and was wondering, would I be totally wreckless not to lap the bottom of these down to the copper, or will they be fine stock?

it's like on page four here in the ATi section, search for "voltmod 9k5" instead of 9500; some tool wanted to be fancy about it ;)

If you want to pencil-mod your card instead of soldering to it, go look at my reply to "looking for 16k - tips?" in the 3DMark forum -- adelphia or someone like that wrote it and I'm the last responder. I show the two resistors for vref and vdd, and I can show you the vddq one if you want (although it didnt' help me one bit)

Back