• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW Water Cooling NB poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WC the NB- Overkill?

• Yes

Votes: 190 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 220 53.7%

• Total voters
mines watercooled. flo is not a problem with eheim1260. cpu and gpu cooled as well. polarflo setup (which noone seems to be using here) 28.5c @200x11(for now). if moneys not an issue, why not go for it?

You're asking in the wrong place. These guys are all into "overkill" ..

The answer is yes it's more than you need generally since NB's run cool and fast with any decent after-maket passive heat sink not to mention one that's fanned.

Plus it's detremental to the rest system for those like me with a weak eheim pump.

Not overkill. Gets rid of a fan and "might" get you more FSB.

I also wc my SB but only because I had a spare wb left over after I changed the one on my GPU. :)

As a person who activley has a water block on both my south and north bridge I think it is not overkill, nothing in overclocking is overkill, but it normally will hender overlocking more than help it because it lowers flow. Thats why mine are in a seperate loop. Good air coolers on them will do just as well as watercooling. Watercooling just gets rid of the loud fans and looks cooler.

z0n3 said:
As a person who activley has a water block on both my south and north bridge I think it is not overkill, nothing in overclocking is overkill, but it normally will hender overlocking more than help it because it lowers flow. Thats why mine are in a seperate loop. Good air coolers on them will do just as well as watercooling. Watercooling just gets rid of the loud fans and looks cooler.

Do you have a picture of that? I never seen a SB watercooled before. :drool:

No, it's not overkill at all. If it was, then I'd be psyco cause I've done everything but watercool it.

I've lapped my NB down so it was flat using 400,600,800,1000, and 1500 grit. The thing was incredibly bowled and needed it badly. After that, I did a vdd volt mod so my NB can get up to 1.9V. I bought a NB-1 and put some AS5 on it just so it wouldn't get too hot. If my ram wasn't limiting my overclock, then it would have actually helped.

For one pump it is not overkill... but anti-overkill... AKA will most likely give you a worse overclock because of the added heat to your CPU. When I had a NB block, I even gave it its own heatercore thinking it will remove the extra heat, but my CPU still gained about 4C temp wise :(

I am running 2 heater cores with TEC cooled GPU and CPU and there is still wayyyy too much heat in the system. I ordered a second pump so I could run the NB and TEC/GPU in it's own loop. This will help out temps alot.

I'll use a Zalman passive heatsink and if it starts to hold my OC back, I'll put a quiet 60mm x 25mm fan ducted to it like a mini CPU heatsink. I'm not gonna shell out $40+ and compromise my CPU temps even slightly for my NB.

SomaGaze said:
if it was overkill, there wouldn't be a market for NB waterblocks...

That's a great quote :beer:

I watercool my NB because I go for the silence and it looks cool :) I have a good pump so the flow rate is unaffected. Most importantly I got my DD Z-Chip for like $25 like 6 months ago :D

watercooling the n.bridge overkill? nah, especially if you are running all the possible voltage mods on yer mobo.

minor revision of the issue at hand:

Would it be overkill if you measured your board's NB area (say it's an NF7-S), bought C110 copper blocks, cut the blocks so they produce the largest waterblock that would fit for the given amount of space, cut a cold plate, added an 80w pelt, double insulated with neoprene and cork tape, lapped the base of the block and the face of the north bridge, mounted the block and sealed it to the NB with conformal silicone?? Is subzero C temps on the NB overkill??? nah....(I stick with a very narrow definition for overkill :D )

nbridgersd.jpg

:p

no, i dont think so, it really doesnt put off a whole lot of heat to heat upp your flow...and especially when you can pull off a higher voltage and keep the noise down...

Sure it's completely silent, but it makes tube routing a pain in the ***. Especially if you have all 3 blocks (CPU, GPU, NB), but if you can do it, then go for it by all means. The NB is easily cooled and off the top of my head, an Intel 865/875 chipset puts out 9 watts, which is insignificant compared to the 100+W of an OCed CPU/Prescott and 50+W of a goods graphics card.

But for me, im removing my Maze4 and replacing it with a Thermalright NB-1C due to tubing problems and the constant problems with the retention system. Craced the NB offa my first P4C800E Dlx and popped a hook off my P4P800 even with the springs cut.

I voted no simply because I don't trust fans as a primary cooler ever since I lost a CPU from a fan dying. I know that fans have come along ways since as have temp monitoring, but I still trust the H2O more.

If you properly create a NB waterblock it will have almost 0 effect on the overall performance on your system. But, it will get rid of another fan.

Back