• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW Water Cooling NB poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WC the NB- Overkill?

• Yes

Votes: 190 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 220 53.7%

• Total voters
Revivalist said:
@ clocker2 - That's very interesting! So did you actually run the same exact setup with and without the northbridge block to eliminate all other variables?
Yes.
Obviously the tube routing was slightly different, but all the other components (including the OS and BIOS settings) were unchanged.

Actually, check that.
I had to move the vid card from PCI-E slot1 up to slot2 to unshroud the northbridge chip.
I didn't do that until my waterblock arrived, so that change was not documented with the air cooler in place.

NB temps diddrop and the CPU/GPU did not rise with the additional block installed.
Sorry, but it would be a giant hassle to replace the NB back to air to test how significant the vid card move might have been.

I still would not want to deal with the hassle of adding extra tubing and I think it really depends on whats an acceptable temp on the NB. Mine hovers around 37ºc-38ºc under load so it would not be worth it in my case but for someone in a hot house it may be essential for stability.

@ clocker2 - No need to retest it. I think your test is sufficient to show that it didn't harm your other temps. I think for me that strikes one more tally in favor of using a NB block.

@ mysterfix - Are you overvolting it or running at stock voltage? Also, I see your RAM is doing DDR510. So are you running at 255MHz HTT or are you using a divider and going higher?

As far as tube routing, I think for a DFI Expert, it would be pretty easy. If I put my video card in the upper slot, then I could have a hose go directly over from the GPU to the NB and then from the NB up to the CPU. That would actually be cleaner then stretching a hose from the GPU diagonal to the CPU like it is in my rig now. Notice what I mean in the pics. . .

expert13na.jpg

18theinsidecloseup7vj.jpg

Revivalist said:
@ mysterfix - Are you overvolting it or running at stock voltage? Also, I see your RAM is doing DDR510. So are you running at 255MHz HTT or are you using a divider and going higher?
I'm running 1.6V on the chipset but my rad fans are blowing air across the case from the front intake of my case. (CM Stacker) And I also have a card cooler that is blowing air up across the video card and chipset, seems to work well. :) Keeps my ram and chipset pretty cool.

Edit: Video card Ram

over kill? probably ... but then anything for silence ... nb fans are noisey little suckers ... water is there ... why not?

over kill? probably ... but then anything for silence ... nb fans are noisy little suckers ... water is there ... why not?

doh!!! dble post ... sorry

I voted no but I almost got a nb block for aesthetic purposes, nowadays mobo makers are getting more and more creative with their chipset coolers. I have seen some with heatpipes and some that are large and all copper, so you probibly don't "need" it. I have seen people with phase change setups get amazing fsb overclocks with their nb on aircooling before.

{PMS}fishy said:
Didn't we just have this poll?

I think it over kill. Waste of time, money, and flow.

The NB only puts out a little heat, a good Socket A HSF will take care of that with out any problems.

Couldnt of put it better :)

Back