• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel VS AMD in the workplace

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
barton2500 said:
I think the XP2000 would be reasonably priced and good for a general computer lab.

Does anyone think that the P4 2.6C would be a better choice even though it costs ~33% more?

I doubt you will even be utilizing the 2000+'s speed, letalone a 2.6C's.

stock coolers on amd suck it
50*C idle is suck imho and thats what my stock cooler did on my system
this vantek aeroflow droped my temps like 15*C at first it was like 38*C but now its like 35*C i guess it setup or something
and thats without AS5 or anything then when i put in 4Frontal fans in my case it droped it even more

**edit just checked temp and its at 32*C idle well semi idle anyways thats a big drop from 50*C fully idle just started up temp
if i ran a game it would go into the 60'S *C area so yea stock cooler wasnt good enuf

i have a stock cooler on my AthlonXP [email protected]..runs 38C idle, 56 under full load
on my AthlonXP 2400@2 Ghz, runs 32 idle..I haven't run Prime on it yet, but I get 38C after playing an hour of Ghost Recon.

typically the computer lab won't be on full load...we're talking about running Office/web/e-mail here...

so XP2000 with Coolmaster Aero Lite should be enough.

In case I do go with a P4...
Is the P4R800-VM better than P4P800-VM? I know the integrated graphics is better, both support HT and dual channel DDR400, FSB800. But I'd like to know if anyone has hands-on experience with these board.

The P4R800-VM is $117 at which is less than P4P800-VM at $143, so it makes sense to get that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that making all your stuff would be the best thing for a comp lab... Of course.. it is all your choice.... but just imo, it might be safer having a good long warranty for lab comps, especially since you might not want to have to bother with them all the time.. yes?

Don't forget the Duron

Forget about a Celeron...the price/performance ratio sucks. As far as standardized equipment and warranty, you can get a good deal on AMD systems purchased in bulk from any number of "whitebox" vendors, which would also include warranty and tech support. You don't have to go with Intel and/or Dell...although Dell always seems to get high marks for customer support.

I know Intel boxes are nice and quiet, but I still lean towards AMD systems just because of the price performance issue. Take a look at this review from Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927

"When we can find a 1.6GHz Duron for just over half the price of a 2.6GHz Celeron and get better performance consistently in almost every test we ran, the choice is clear."

You can get more bang for your buck with the AMD systems, Duron or Athlon.

Just a little something to think about.

Back