• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reverse psu fan to cool amd 1600 stock in itx case(cm elite 130)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vishal16

I'm thinking to build an amd itx pc. The stock cooler will just fit with little to no room above it. My budget is tight and liquid coolers are quiet expensive in India can't fit in my budget I'm thinking to go for antec vp600p psu it's a 80+ bronze (not certified but OEM model have) my build consist of ryzen5 1600 and gtx1070fe not considering to oc, so max power usage will be less than 350w.
Will there be any problem if I just open (ik warranty will be void) and reverse the fan of psu so that it will take air from outside and blow towards CPU heatsink.

Id say not a good idea. Youd be cooling the case with warmed air... however slight. I dont think its worth it.

From what I have seen the temperature of power supply is mostly less than 40°c which is about 15°+ambient and commonly on it reaches 75° on load so if I change thermal paste to something like artic silver 5 I would get 4-5°c difference and im ready to underclock the CPU so I can expect 80+°c and official says anything less than <95 is operational but I can't test the actual scenario

Interesting theory...

As5 isnt great paste. Its average or slightly below. The difference between the best and worst pastes are 4-5c. If you get the best, not as5, ypu are looking at a couple c improvement. I wouldnt suck im 40c intake air to try and cool this system...

Edit: why did you delete that post??

Last edited:
Just looking at your parts, I don't think there should be an issue with cooling. The CM 130 has a 120 intake in the front and an 80 on the side. Your card is an FE blower style so it exhausts the air out the back. and the PSU will take care of itself as well. I would just leave it as is. The AMD stock paste is fine for the cooler TBH.

The stock AMD cooler will not work in that case! The cooler is 70mm tall and the max for that case (according to Coolermaster themselves) is 65mm. I have the little brother to the 130, the 110 and it is basically the same except shorter from front to back so that it will not accommodate an optical drive. But the cooler clearance is the same. I tried a good Noctua low profile aftermarket heat sink/fan that gave about 12mm clearance underneath the PSU. Barely adequate for cooling as even it was starved for air by the small clearance.

I'll save you a lot of trouble, expense and headache. This case series really, really needs an AIO water cooler like the Corsair H60. You will frustrated if you try to go with air.

Last edited:
Just looking at your parts, I don't think there should be an issue with cooling. The CM 130 has a 120 intake in the front and an 80 on the side. Your card is an FE blower style so it exhausts the air out the back. and the PSU will take care of itself as well. I would just leave it as is. The AMD stock paste is fine for the cooler TBH.
Everyone is tell me opposite, will it really work? Have not bought any parts yet

Interesting theory...

As5 isnt great paste. Its average or slightly below. The difference between the best and worst pastes are 4-5c. If you get the best, not as5, ypu are looking at a couple c improvement. I wouldnt suck im 40c intake air to try and cool this system...

Edit: why did you delete that post??

Deleted by mistake. New to this site
Btw it will not always be 40 it will always be less than 40 and the airflow to heat sink will be much higher as the 120mm fan of PSU is blowing and the CPU fan is sucking

- - - Updated - - -

The stock AMD cooler will not work in that case! The cooler is 70mm tall and the max for that case (according to Coolermaster themselves) is 65mm. I have the little brother to the 130, the 110 and it is basically the same except shorter from front to back so that it will not accommodate an optical drive. But the cooler clearance is the same. I tried a good Noctua low profile aftermarket heat sink/fan that gave about 12mm clearance underneath the PSU. Barely adequate for cooling as even it was starved for air by the small clearance.

I'll save you a lot of trouble, expense and headache. This case series really, really needs an AIO water cooler like the Corsair H60. You will frustrated if you try to go with air.

The maximum size given with taking to consideration that it will need 10mm space for airflow and I have seen a post where someone actually attached stock cooler and asked is this fine there was around 2mm space above it it will fit just fine the issue will be to take airflow and the 110 will not fit a fe card it need a mini card to fit inside

I think you may have misunderstood me. I was not recommending the 110. Same problem; same clearance issue as the 130. Either one really needs an AIO water solution.

I just replaced my 110 with a Corsair D250 mini itx case. Much better clearance for cooling but somewhat bigger than either the CM 130 or the 110. With my 110 I got frustrated with trying to work inside it, everything was so crammed. The Corsair D250 is bigger but not huge. Still fits nicely on my desktop.

I don't think you will be happy about the noise in this case. I made 8 core ryzen build with GTX1070 FE in Fractal Core 500 and it was simply loud. Later I switched cooling to water and it was just right.
If you want to use stronger graphics card then I recommend more space between graphics card and the side of the case. Most people are sharing how they made small builds but barely anyone will tell you how loud is their PC under full load.
Processor is not an issue as even small cooler can handle it. PSU won't help much. Simply add 1 120/140mm fan to the case and it will remove all hot air from CPU/memory area as there is quite small space. Graphics card will run hot, no matter what you do with the PSU or additional fans in the case as aiflow in front of the gfx card will be really limited.

Now I feel like going for a mATX will be better though it will be 50-70%larger but will have better cooling and save a lot compared to itx

Now I feel like going for a mATX will be better though it will be 50-70%larger but will have better cooling and save a lot compared to itx

Smart move in my opinion. When you build a system you need to look at a number of factors so as to make component choices that make good sense as a whole. Tiny case size may be visually appealing but it has other drawbacks such as limited CPU cooling, limited ventilation, limited working space and limiting choices for the other build components such as the video card or even the PSU. And in turn, the limits placed on choosing other components may wind up driving the cost up to the point where it's just not affordable. Moving to a mATX build will give you more flexibility in component choices and also save you money. ITX motherboards are more expensive than mATX boards to start with.

Last edited:
It was pretty much my conclusion after couple of ITX builds with higher wattage graphics cards. If you consider required space then you need larger ITX case to provide enough airflow and larger ITX case = micro ATX. At the same time mATX is cheaper as cheaper case and cheaper motherboard.
The same goes with mATX and some case choices. Small tower case which supports full ATX motherboards is often as big as mATX case. The difference is that in most inexpensive mATX cases you won't install larger CPU cooler or AIO bigger than 240mm.
Before you buy anything, check sizes ( cooler height too ), available space inside the case and compare prices. I was looking for the smallest mATX case with 280 rad support for TR/ASRock mATX and in the end I got Phanteks P300 which is full ATX case but is short and quite cheap. There are some design flaws but nothing I really needed ( like HDD cage which was too close the PSU and I just removed it ).

Back