• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift .. some thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
About 3 weeks ago I've decided that I want to install my 7900X/ITX into some small case and after looking for good looking pc case I've purchased Phanteks Shift - non-X, smaller one. I guess it wasn't the best idea and there are some thoughts about this build. Maybe it will help someone who is thinking about Phanteks Shift for higher performance ITX build.

This is the case I'm talking about - http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift.html

Used hardware:
i9-7900X / stock
ASRock X299E-ITX/AC
4x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666
EVGA GTX1060 ITX/SC 6GB
Crucial BX300 480GB SATA SSD
2x Patriot Hellfire 240GB M.2 NVMe SSD
Corsair H80i V2 AIO with 2x 120mm fans
Corsair 140mm fan next to the motherboard
Corsair SF450, 450W Gold PSU

1. General design - even though it's high quality and looks great then designers clearly had on their minds specific hardware. What you see on the website are pictures without any cables what may cause a lot of issues once you try to connect all devices.

2. PSU - if I'm right then I have 2nd revision of this case as in first wasn't compatible with many PSU. I'm using Corsair SF450 which is enough for my build and is in standard SFX format. Even though I'm not using all cables then were issues with space near PSU. Finally I made enough space to install graphics card.

3. Cooling - everywhere are couple of mm too few to install most popular components what makes it difficult to use hardware from previous builds and there can be issues with bad choices if you want to buy everything new.
- Air cooling, Cryorig C1 is too close to the side window so CPU is overheating or fan is loud ... or both. I've seen other users with this cooler and I wonder how they can use it in the Shift. Smaller cooler will fit but who buys high end, enthusiast case and install there small cooler designed for typical, small ITX builds ?
- Water cooling seems good option but you have to use AIO with tubes going 45/90° from waterblock or you may have problems with closing the case. Custom water cooling is also an option but there is not enough space to install most reservoirs/pumps and still install 2 radiators or 1 thick.
- Radiators - in the manual we can find info about 2x 120mm rads as long as they're 27mm thick... I wonder if it was so hard to make 2-3mm more space ? There are barely any radiators which will fit. I have one that is perfect but it was literally the only one in this size available in the large stores from central EU. It's possible to install one thicker rad and I went this way installing Corsair H80i V2 AIO with 47mm thick rad and 2 fans.
Other thing is what can you cool with 120mm slim rad ?

4. Airflow - I thought it won't be so big issue looking at the pictures but it is. Fans are or taking cold air from outside or blow on the side panels. In both cases it's not perfect as when we use them as intake then hot air will just circulate inside the case. If we use them as exhaust then will blow on the side panels and there is not enough space to get rid of hot air.

5. Other things/build - it's impossible to close side panel if screws have round heads. Again 1mm makes huge difference and clearly designers didn't check that with typical screws that are added to AIO/fans/radiators. I had to find flat screws so I didn't have to modify side panel.

Effect:
Fans at auto - all almost fine except it's really loud - handles stock settings under full load
Fans at silent mode - still loud under load - handles stock settings under full load
Fans at custom settings - not silent but quiet - handles 4GHz at 1V and to keep it quiet have to modify graphics card settings

Regardless what I do:
CPU in best case has ~50°C idle but maximum ~80°C what is still acceptable.
Graphics card goes up to 85°C. Any low fan speed profile causes it to throttle.
Hellfire SSD in idle have 70°C, during work 95°C. Outside the case temps were about 30°C lower.
Motherboard sensor is showing 50°C.

So I wonder what kind of hardware designers had on their minds designing Phanteks Shift. Except the CPU, everything in this build is typical and lower power. Effects are not much better when I lower CPU power, disable HT etc. Now think you want to install GTX1080/1080Ti or any higher AMD card. On the pictures is larger graphics card like these 250W+ models.
Even though it looks great, if you want it to run cool and quiet then you have to use low power components and that's disappointment for enthusiasts/gamers for whom this product is dedicated.

Couple of photos

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

Very clean looking build, especially considering the SFF. I'm guessing the temp issues are due to that monster CPU (140W stock) probably being a bit too much for your H80i.

Does this case have intake filters? I didn't see any in the link you posted.

There are filters ( 1st photo next to USB ports and 2nd photo, other side without ports ) but most of the air can get from the bottom or top while top is without any fan spot and is blocked by IO and graphics card so can't really force any airflow.
H80i isn't the issue even though it looks small for this CPU. CPU even with Cryorig C1 cooler had reasonable temps. CPU at stock clocks and voltage I mean :) H80i should be able to handle this CPU without issues and it does a good job when case isn't closed. Now think that someone installs GTX1080 or any higher AMD card, even with lower TDP CPU ( still most CPUs are ~100W TDP ) ... it was designed for larger gaming graphics cards while it clearly can't handle them keeping everything quiet. I'm not saying silent but really who nowadays builds loud, gaming computers ?

The main issue is airflow and how to get rid of hot air from this case. Near CPU are some holes but nothing what would help to remove hot air from this area. Fan next to CPU is blowing on the side/back/front ( not sure how to call it :D ) panel where is barely any space and hot air is not really moving up but it heating up that panel. On these metal panels are only small holes with filters and I doubt it helps in anything. The same is below where is radiator.

I will try to change fans or add one on the bottom and force airflow in some way, just not many options to do that.

Judging by what you're saying I'd have to agree that airflow in this case isn't very good. If you're getting much better temps with the side cover off then either you aren't getting cool air in or getting the hot air out. Is there any way to add fans to the top of the case (when it's standing up) to help exhaust?

Based on what I see about the case the airflow design is poor at best.
I'm running a 4.5GHz 6700K and GTX 980 Ti in my Hadron Air without issues like this. Even gaming in Surround the GPU doesn't break about 75°C.

Judging by what you're saying I'd have to agree that airflow in this case isn't very good. If you're getting much better temps with the side cover off then either you aren't getting cool air in or getting the hot air out. Is there any way to add fans to the top of the case (when it's standing up) to help exhaust?

On top are all ports, all the HDMI/USB/audio cables and no space for fan.

Based on what I see about the case the airflow design is poor at best.
I'm running a 4.5GHz 6700K and GTX 980 Ti in my Hadron Air without issues like this. Even gaming in Surround the GPU doesn't break about 75°C.

I had no issues like that on something like Ryzen 1700X + GTX1070 or 1080Ti in Fractal Core 500 and Phanteks Evolv ITX. Here I run CPU at 4GHz 1.0V ( auto between 0.65-1.00 ) with disabled HT and in idle it has ~50°C. GTX1060 is not really demanding but it heats up to 90°C easily. SATA SSD has 60°C, NVMe are in idle all the time as I'm not using them ( have some plans but looks like not in this case ) and their temp is 70°C idle as I already said earlier.
H80i at standard settings/auto makes fans to run at max speed and then temps are a lower on the CPU but it's really loud.

If I won't figure out anything then maybe I will use Ryzen in this build and move 7900X to other case.

I love my Phanteks case, but airflow isn't its strong point, either. My average temps for CPU, RAM, storage drives, and GPU are almost identical most of the time. That tells me airflow is the problem. It's definitely a negative pressure setup.

That's very interesting Alaric. I have the same case and have no issues with airflow. Not to distract from Woomack's thread but what fans are you running?

My brother has full tower Phanteks ( don't remember exactly what model ) and it's perfect. ITX Evolv is also really good. It's just that Shift which supposed to be high-end ... is like apple product if you know what I mean ;)

8600K+Supermicro Z370

I made some changes and now it works much better.
Setup: 8600K / Corsair H80i / Supermicro Z370 ITX / 2x8GB Patriot Viper 4 3733 / EVGA GTX1060 6GB / Corsair SF450, 450W PSU
For this motherboard I needed extension cable for CPU/8Pin so I just used 2 of them that I had laying around for longer.

shift1.jpg

shift3.jpg

shift2.jpg

shift4.jpg

Great system Woomack!
I've made a similar system for 3D and graphic, but with a 8700K and a Titan V.
For the CPU I'm using an Arctic Liquid Freezer 120, and with no overclock, in idle my temp are 25/30 degree and under full load doesn't go over 70, so I'm very happy!
The GPU is between 40 and 60, only during the FurmMark went till 81.
I was thinking to upgrade to the X266 platform. Do you think that the temp will be a lot worse with a 7940X delidded? I'm asking because I've seen that previously you had a 7900X and you weren't really happy with the temp.
Which are your temp with the current config?
I'll post a pics of my system and cable management. Thanks a lot!

IMG_1081.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg

Back