• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor Refresh Rates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

I just hooked up my new Samsung 955DF and I love the clarity and clearneww when compared to my old 17" monitor. However, it acts kinda of wierd (at least to me) when I set it higher than 60hz. For example, when I set it to 85hz, the monitor flickers quite a bit. It even does this at 70hz. It looks perfectly normal at 60hz. Is this how it's supposed to operate or is something wrong here?

Check the Video Card and see what it can handle. Do the usual things -- update drivers, check the cable for dmamge, use the reset function for the monitor. make sure the monitor is recognized by the video card, driver installed and all.

Take the monitor to a different machine and see if the monitor is defective.

good luck

T

Hmm, usually it should be better at higher refresh rate :) Check stuff that TidyBowl mentioned first. Have you tried higher refresh rates, for example 100Hz?
You can also try an app called PowerStrip from entechtaiwan, which lets you manually adjust refresh rates with great precision. Don't go too high though; for example if your monitor can do MAX 160Hz @ 1024×768 => 120Hz is more than enough, because as you get closer to the limit, image quality starts to degrade.

Back