• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU without motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FattyMcNastyXK

Bambam's soldier
I thought i've seen something like this before but couldn't find it when searching. I got some stuff that i want to test and i don't have my new motherboard. Is there some way i can turn on my PSU without having a mobo so i can test these CCFL's.

PiMpShiN said:
yes, connect the green wire from the to the ground. (im talking about the one you plug into the motherboard)

which ground? the black one next to the green wire? just wouldnt want to fry anything out doing that

doesnt matter which ground you use, any black one is fine. Any needle nose arent necessary, just unplug the psu and place a wire on there.

but i'm guessing you just need to briefly touch them together like you would when you press the on button to the computer.

2 things make sure that the switch is turned on in the back of the PSU if it is then find something smaller to connect the green and black wire as your probably not getting a good connection.

If you don't want to fry anything by making the wrong connection, use a 500 ohm or so resistor instead of a straight wire.

Dont you have any old school AT psus laying around? I use a 250w AT psu to power all the fans/lights, the have built in on/off switches so they are perfect for testing stuff.

I left it on all night like that because i'm used to sleeping with the sound of fans. I got my motherboard, I had some uv paint all over everything and i couldn't post, nothing showed on my monitor and my monitor didn't even react. So i rubbed the paint off the pins of my video card and i scrapped my AGP card with sand paper and then damp paper towel to get the paint off. But nothing is happening. I don't receive my new psu until monday and i got a lan saturday. It powers up and i don't think its because i fryed my psu. If i can't get help on this thread i'll need to make another in an appropriate area requesting suggestions.

Back