• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shuttle's XPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AqUaBaT

Registered
I am thinking about getting one of shuttles xpc's and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

how do you runs these systems in a shuttle toaster with a 140watt toaster power supply. Especially with a ati 9800 which requires a 300 watt min psu?!?

SN85G4.JPG

athlon 64, 5900, raptor;

40" dvi lcd

edit: amd linux not shown in screenshot, also an audigy2 in there

and btw, its a 250w psu w/active pfc and the same ratings as an antec 300w, so i dunno where you're getting these 140w ratings from

Last edited:
also, i must recommend the -G4 versions over the -G2 versions

much quieter and also has a better psu

e.g. sn85 - G4 and the ST61 - G4

i forget what the ati version is called but i think its an st61g4, i don't know

power supply:

-G2 = achme or enhance 220w

-G4 = silenX 250w

I had a SS40G
http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/barebone/specification.asp?B_id=5

Chassis
Dimension (L)300*(W)200*(H)185 2.85Kg (N.W.) 4.65Kg (G.W.)

Front Panel USB * 2,&" Line-out/Headphone * 1, MIC * 1, 1394 * 1, SPDIF * 1
Back Panel PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse * 1, Serial Port * 2, 1394 * 2, USB * 2, LAN * 1
Extension Bay 5.25" * 1, 3.5" * 2
Mainboard FS40
Form Factor Small Form Factor
CPU Socket A AMD Athlon/ XP & Duron K7 266/200MHz FSB
Chipsets North bridge:SIS 740 South bridge:SIS 961
Memory DDR 266/200 * 2
VGA SIS 315, 4-64 MB VGA share memory
Audio C-Media 6 Ch. H/W
Expansion Slot PCI * 2
IDE interface ATA-100

Power 160W / 200W (PFC) <-- ok not 140 but 160W-200 at full Load

Accessory TV-Out Support, USB 2.0 (Option), Aluminum Chassis, Athlon XP CPU burn-proof

Even without a power eating video card, My XPC SS40G died within 3 months due to crappy shi* *ss PSU.

not doubting ya at all, once had a ss51 catch on fire and then promptly explode, and then melt into a horrible mess **without** damaging the outside of it

took me five minutes to get the thing open and then realize that the insides have melted together

oh yeah, had smoke comming from it too, but i wasn't there, only left smoke/carbon trails from the back

and i've got this hunch that it somehow came from the psu because the psu ended dripping out of its casing (or found what WAS the psu that dripped out)

but my sn85g4 has been great, and silent, no complaints at all

and amd64 linux works like a *generational* cpu upgrade

oh yeah, also you do understand that you had a SS40 - "G"

which isn't even a "-G2" right? might explain why

by all means, if you're getting an xpc, get the -G4 version, at least a -G2 version

and stay AWAY FROM -G versions

e.g. ss51g and ss40g

power math

Aquabat,

I'm sure shuttle has gotten better with their PSU's though, I'd be very cautious about what I put into that toaster. What I suggest is, you get a list of what parts your going to put into the toaster and add up the energy consumption of each part (harddrive, cpu, fans, memory, video card, etc..) and if it totals anywhere near the 100% rated wattage, buy a good fire extinguisher,

Last edited:
And even with a G2 or a G4, or even the ST62k... the idea of running a P4 3.2 with either a nvidia 5900xt or a ATI 9800xt, 2x512MB of PC3200, dual 36Gb Western Digital SATA Raptor in raid0, Sony Combo DVD/CD-RW and maybe the idea of overclocking either CPU or video card on air with only two fans for the whole system with a 250watt PSU ...leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :eh?:

Last edited:
Hmm, all valid comments. However, the shuttle has it's own patented cooling system with a large heat sink connected to "cooling pipes" to a fan out the back. My system runs at 45 deg C, that doesn't seem to bad for me. About the power supply, this may be an issue, hasn't been for me and I'm running 128 mb 5600 card and a TV tuner, with no problems.
-And if it is an issue for you, why not upgrade it?
-I am thinking of modding my "toaster" ;) , so that there's an "in" fan on one side and an "out" fan on the other, to pump what ever hot air may be left behind right out.
-No complaints and I've been running heavy encoding software,(Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop ect...) 24\7 for the last 6 or so months.

CrazyP said:
here is mine
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84683

some G2 cases are shipping with the new 250w powersupply now, the sb75g2 has from newegg

Wow, CrazyP, that thing's gorgeous. I had almost the exact same Idea in mind, except I was going to have the 2nd fan on the other side, but that does make sense having it on top, especially since heat rises too.

How did you cut the case?

-You've gotta tell me about that radiator you've got on the back, hows that working for you, how much did it decrease temp before you started oc?

It seems like it's still running a little hot, but if it's stable than I guess it doesn't matter.

BTW, if the only thing holding you back from an XPC is the powersupply, you can buy one from pricewatch for $77 shipped:( ... but the new ones do come with it already....

i didnt feel like taking the mobo out so i used a 10 dollar nibler from compusa. it takes longer but 80MM holes come out perfect. smaller round holes re tougher.

i know i called it a radiator because it looks like one, but in truth its the fins that surround the heat pipes from the icecooler. the icecooler comes stock with all Shuttles and it really suprised me how good it is.

remeber my temps are what they are because my fans are only running at 1600rpm, I'm just anal about sound now. I used to have a lianli full tower with 10 80MM fans and a SLK-900 with a 92MM tornado.

those days are gone for ever lol

Back when I had my ss40g, there was no real options of upgrading the PSU. And those toaster PSU's are expensive.
I like what you did with your toaster. Still I'd watch the power consumption.

:D

Back