• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD vs CRT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabber

is there a noticeable difference in quaity between the two? I cant remember what my CRT looked like, though I do remember it being very rich in detail. I want to go back to CRT but would like to hear some opinions first. I'm using a non-dvi JTX 15" LCD.
Thanks guys

stabber said:
is there a noticeable difference in quaity between the two? I cant remember what my CRT looked like, though I do remember it being very rich in detail. I want to go back to CRT but would like to hear some opinions first. I'm using a non-dvi JTX 15" LCD.
Thanks guys

Depends on what Lcd you have. I'm guessing that that one is not an exceptionally high-end one. Lcd's are sharper and brighter (more vibrant) then crts. Crt's aren't as sharp, but they display more colors (and don't have to use one native res). I would suggest going to a store (that is running the monitors on a reasonable video card, and at native res if they are lcds) and looking at different crts and lcds. Then you could decide what you prefer.

tom10167 said:
Wait, you can only run the native resolution on LCD monitors? And this applies to ALL LCDs?

You can run out of native just fine. The only problem is its butt ugly (not that bad, but it looks nothing like native), and you should NOT buy an lcd if you are not going to run in native for everyday usage. So if you play alot of games and you comp can't handle 1280x1024 or higher, it would also be a bad idea to get an lcd. Unless the distortion and blur of going from 1280x1024 (5:4) to 1024x768 (4:3) is less troubling to you than it is to me. Maybe doing 1024x768 on a 20" lcd would be better because you would only get the blur and not the distortion?

Back