• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A

alex

I would like to overclock my Pentium 3 900. here is the info from WCPUID :

[ WCPUID Version 3.0b (c) 1996-2001 By H.Oda! ]

Processor #1 : Intel Pentium III / 95F9EC61
Platform : Socket370 (PGA370 Socket)
Vendor String : GenuineIntel
CPU Type : Original OEM Processor (0)
Family : 6 (-)
Model : 8 (-)
Stepping ID : 6 (-)
Brand : 2
APIC : ----
Name String : ----

Internal Clock : 902.04 MHz
System Bus : 100.23 MHz
System Clock : 100.23 MHz
Multiplier : 9.0

L1 I-Cache : 16K Byte
L1 D-Cache : 16K Byte
L1 T-Cache : ----
L1 Cache : ----
L2 Cache : 256K Byte
L2 Speed : 902.04 MHz (Full)

MMX Unit : Supported
SSE Unit : Supported
SSE2 Unit : Not Supported
MMX2 Unit : Not Supported
3DNow! Unit : Not Supported
3DNow!+ Unit : Not Supported

Host Bridge : 1106:0691.C4 [VIA Apollo Pro133A]
South Bridge : 1106:0596.23 [VIA VT82C596x]
VGA Device : 10DE:002C.15 [NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT]
Memory Size : 128M Byte
Memory Clock : 133.64 MHz
: 68,2,M:C003,D:7C41,R:4001

OS Version : Windows Me Version 4.90.3000

Welcome to the forums Alex. Do you have a question about overclocking that particular chip? There is a CPU database on the front page of this forum...unfortunantly there arent any entries for the 900 yet...so you could be the first. Have you read any of the overclocking guides on the front page?

Is the processor in a standard vendor based PC..like from Dell or Gateway or IBM? Do you know what type of motherboard your PC has? You need to first have a motherboard that will support overclocking the PIII via raising of the FSB (front side bus). If you can supply a little more info...everyone can tell you the possibilities of overclocking the chip.

Start raising the frequency of the cpu (fsb).
Raise it to 124mhz then if it runs ok at that for a day raise it up to 133mhz.

How you do it depends on your motherboard.
You will adjust the fsb in the bios or by jumpers-dip switches on the board itself if your board lets you adjust the fsb settings. Check your motherboards manual.
And always keep a check on your cpu temp's when overclocking.
You should also read thru the beginners guide on the main overclockers.com page.

You can get a temp monitoring program from http://www.tweakfiles.com
in the diagnostic section. The good one is called MBM (motherboard monitor). Temp monitoring is crucial to OCing. Also, what the other guys said, your motherboard had to support raising the fsb (front side bus) to be able to OC an Intel chip. Good luck and read all the newbie guides on the front page, they cover all the basic of OCing. :)

This is the info given by WCPUID for the motherboard :

[ WCPUID Version 3.0b (c) 1996-2001 By H.Oda! ]
$$--- System Information

[BIOS Information]
Vendor String : Award Software, Inc.
Version String : 2.00
Release Date : 07/26/2000
ROM Size : 256 KB

[Motherboard Information]
Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product String : PEGASUS
Version String : REV 1.xx
Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxx

You'll need to check if you have jumpers on your board that allow changing the FSB and/or voltages. Also check in the bios to see if you can change them. The problem with buying computers such as dell, gateway, and hp is that they'll remove o/cing features. So you'll have to check. It is an Asus board, so things are looking a little better.

I checked on the MoBo, it's an Asus CUV-NT, but I haven't located the jumpers yet.

I looked at the Motherboard, but I couldn't find the jumpers. Maybe there aren't at all, or I just don't know where they are. Could anybody tell me where on the MoBo are the jumpers supposed to be located ? I found some pins right over the processor, but I don't know if they are jumpers, and if yes, if they're the one changing the fsb and/or the voltage !

One big problem, is that on the asus site, they don't say anything about this mobo, like it didn't exist !

It's probably a castrated mobo built especially for the OEM computer companies. If that is the case, you're out of luck because OEM outfits don't want the users changing stuff or overclocking, plus it's cheaper.

Now I'll try using SoftFSB, but the program can't recognize my mobo !

Well, anyway, thanks everyone for your help. I'll just try an overclock again with my next computer (this time, I won't buy it from an OEM, I'll build it myself !)

Thanks

Yep, that's the best way to do it, build it yourself. Mainly what you need at this point is a better motherboard.

Back