• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AgEnT0140

i have an HP Pavillion 8655c p3 535mhz. I have some kind of idea how to overclock but before i go any further i wanna know if it CAN be overclockecd. can it?

well with my past experience from computers that are store bought the motherboards suck really bad....and you can`t oc them....i`ve had a celeron 533mhz e-machines and the thing was the biggest pos i`ve ever had and it couldn`t oc at al....then i moved up to a e-machines 700mhz celeron and of couse it wouldn`t oc either...then i got a gateway with a 700mhz celeron in it and guess what...the darn thing wouldn`t oc....so i saved up $700 dollars and went to a computer show where things were dirt cheap and built me a very nice rig and i bought an asus cusl2-c mobo and let me tell you....its my best investment ever,because now i`m am able to oc it....with store bought comps the motherboards will not let you oc for some reason( well in my case its true) so personally i don`t think you can oc it ...now if i`m wrong somebody plz correct me

I KNEW IT GGGRRRRR!!!! HATE STORE BOUGHT COMPUTERS!!!! how much would it cost to make my own computer? I'm thikng of selling this computer or scraping it and using parts. sorry about that. rage i've been having problems with this computer for a lllllooooonnnnngggg itme.

Edited by Shadow ÒÓ

WHOA.... Edit your post. Foul language isn't allowed. You may have a chance. Please edit your post first before a mod sees it

Thank you. Now depending on your motherboard, you may have some options. Download Soft FSB and CPUFSB and see if any of them supports your motherboard. You can also try going in to your BIOS to see if you have any options. When the HP logo comes up at bootup, press Pause and then hit F1. Odds are slim that you'll have anything in there, but it's worth a shot.

If neither SoftFSB or CPUFSB works, try searching around the net for data files for your motherboard. There should be a model number on your motherboard somewhere. Also look for your PLL number. The CPUFSB help guide has instructions on identifying it. You can find these programs at tweakfiles.com.

If all else fails, sell your parts or your entire system and build one on your own. I suggest AMD due to its value and performance. Check pricewatch.com to find some of the lowest prices, and cross-reference them with resellerratings.com to see how well they can be trusted. Depending on how you're going to embellish yourself, it may range from $100 (if you scrap parts) to maybe $300 (basic parts, nothing really fancy)

trust me i'm gonna sell this thing as fast as i can. Theres some parts i can take out like the network card, dvd drive, and memory because i upgraded it. maybe i can sell that piece of crap back to HP. let them have their own crap. i'm sure i can at lest make 300 and if i shop around at shows...... ugh too tired to think.....

Check pricewatch.com for links to parts. Cross-reference them with resellerratings.com to see how well they can be trusted

well, you could check on eBay, see if there isn't anything cheap !

BTW, I have an HP 8766c, and me too, they cut the oc possibilities ! Also an older compaq presario 5360, with a k6-2 that can oc !

And welcome to the forums !

thanks. i too have a compaq. worst piece of crap ever. don;t ever get a compaq presario. the rest may be ok but those just SUCK. i will never buy off ebay. too expensive. i've found good deals in excite classifides. Theres a computer show in chicago on the 19 so i'll probabally get my parts there. ARGG! that meas i have to sell this dump thing by then. maybe some idiot on ebay will buy it.

AgEnT0140 (Aug 02, 2001 01:37 a.m.):
i know i'm gonna use a AMD. What board would you suggest?
Abit KT7E for around $90. Pretty good value board, and it's a cool blue. Epox K7A for around $150. Great overclocker and offers RAID and DDR support. You should go to AMD Motherboards to get more and better information and recommendations

Before you spend all that cash man maybe you should take the time to find your clock generator and use FSB to Overclock your CPU. Its freeware and could save you a nice bit of change.
How to find your clock gen.
Link to download SoftFSB
http://www.octools.com/files/sfsb17g1.exe (I hope its ok to post this link. I had a lot of trouble finding this program)

There ya go man see if that will help ya OC that nasty HP and really stick it to those screwballs who like to keep end users from overclocking.

i'm done with hp. i'm sick of this computer. it keeps crashing and about every 20-30mins it just stops for about 30sces then comes back. i'm gonna dump it real soon. i'm going to post in amd section now. bye and good morning.

What OS do you have on your hp ? If it's Windows ME, it happens to me too !

your right it's the os but when i start up (because of the DVD drive i added) i have it stops at the blue hp screen and i have 2 pull the pplug and re plug quick to get it to go. i shouldn't have installed me but o well.

AgEnT0140 (Aug 02, 2001 02:14 a.m.):
i'm done with hp. i'm sick of this computer. it keeps crashing and about every 20-30mins it just stops for about 30sces then comes back. i'm gonna dump it real soon. i'm going to post in amd section now. bye and good morning.

Mine used to do that, then i reinstalled windoze and it worked fine. If you are gonna get another comp, think about changing your motherboard instead.

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I'VE RE-INSTALLED WINDOWS. i am sick of doing that and of the startup problem(because of the DVD drive prob because it's a cheap brand or cuz i have it slaved to the h.d.) so out it goes!

Back