• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screw question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lat

I just made a new blowhole, and added some rubber grommets to dampen the sound

Unfortunately, the fan screws i have right now aren't long enough to go through the fan grill, grommets, and into the threaded corners of my fan

I went to my local hardware store, brought along the fan screws, but the guy i asked working there couldn't find me a longer screw that was the same size with the same type of threading

I'm wondering, is there a certain numerical size i can ask for at the hardware store? It would suck if i couldn't use my blowhole

Thanks in advance

(forgot to mention, i need the grommets for sure, because i added some chrome auto trim around the sharpness of the hole too, so the grommets make it fit well)

Humm, maybe you could find a similar screw with a similar width of the fan screw and use it? When you put it in there it should just rethread to the new kind of threads. Or if you want to you can ghetto rig it with just a long skinny machine screw, a few washers and some nuts :). I did that on my back case fan.. for a little different reason though.

yeah, i supposed i could use nuts + skinnier long screws

makes me feel like i wasted so much time threading my fan by hand though :p hate those un-pre-threaded fans, specially when i lack power tools

Lat said:
yeah, i supposed i could use nuts + skinnier long screws

makes me feel like i wasted so much time threading my fan by hand though :p hate those un-pre-threaded fans, specially when i lack power tools

normal fan screws automatically thread the holes in the fan, thats why they are sharp..ish

Back