• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to buy drive electronics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

OK so I have a little incident. Basicly I got the +5v and 12v+ on the molex switched around after sleeving. The bad molex connector went to a sata power converter. Well as I booted up I saw smoke come from the hd. I turned it off and later found out the above.

So all that is bad on the drive is the ide or drive electronics. There is this crispy little thing on there. I am pretty sure that if I just replace the electronics everything will be OK. Is there a place that sells them?

The drive is an 80gb Samsung sata drive.

Wow... expensive mistake.. This one should be in the hall of fame..

Nobody is going to sell the drive electronics except Samsung themselves.

I'd shoot them an e-mail, and see if they could sell it to you. It's probable that the cost would outweigh that of a new drive. Replace it with a Hitachi 80gb 8mb SATA drive for 66$. You'll be glad you toasted that old Samsung ;)

Old samsung? Its got the same specs as the Hitachi, I actually picked it over the Hitachi when I bought it. It has proven to be an expensive mistake...I also plugged in my 9800p...sniff.

hypothetically. I think I have taken care of the HD problem. The video is just gonna cost me though.. hypothetically

About your only other option, rather than talking directly with manufacturers, would be to hunt around eBay for drives with good electronics, but are otherwise dead/damaged (dropped, unrepairable bad sectors, etc.) then just switch out the circuits.

You might be able to pick up a deal.

Back