• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD starts shipping 90 nanometre Athlon 64s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Grov said:
3Ghz on air?

Now your just making assumptions and guessing.
Well think about it man. If the die shrink goes ok then I dont see why not. Most of us are getting 2.6ghz on air. I see no reason why we wont see a 90nm SOI chip do 3ghz on air, if all goes well

In theory, yes, but look how long it's taken to ge to 2.6ghz, and not all of can.

Only on a dam good chip, or high end cooling.

What about steppings. First AMD64's overclocked ****ty, i seriously doubt these will be overclocking loads in a matter of months.

And if Intels Presscot is anything to go buy, id hardly say im excited.

to get 3ghz, you'd need a 800mhz o/c on a 3200, doubt uit

Thats a good point, this is the first set of stepping of the A64 90nm process. But only the results people post can tell.

Well none of us have any hard facts quite yet. But from what I hear they should scale normally, just a little worse than the Palimino ---> Tbred conversion

But I agree, they wont do 3ghz right outta the gate. However they will when I get one :p

OC Detective said:
<cough> soft launch <cough>

I really doubt that. AMD had working 90nm chips for some time now, I'm pretty sure they're ready.

Damn, I can't wait to see what would such chip do on air and what temps it'll run at and what voltages it'll need.
I also can't wait to try GCPUID on one :p

They are going to launch the Athlon64 4000+ and FX-55 from a 130nm process, which to me suggest they dont have problems with 90nm yields as some have suggested...but rather they can afford to, because there is no need to rush the 90nm part like what Intel did with the Prescott..............

OC Detective said:
The term soft launch means they are not heavily promoting the fact.....

Sorry, had a brain fart, originally I thought you said "Paper launch". my mistake

mata2974 said:
They are going to launch the Athlon64 4000+ and FX-55 from a 130nm process, which to me suggest they dont have problems with 90nm yields as some have suggested...but rather they can afford to, because there is no need to rush the 90nm part like what Intel did with the Prescott..............

If AMD could easily pump out 2.6GHz 90nm CPUs, I don't think they'd push the 130nm technology to its breaking point. I also doubt the yield of 2.6GHz parts on 130nm is high. I'm pretty sure that they are either having problems controlling the heat produced by higher clocked chips, or they just can't clock really that high yet.

Yes it would make economic sense to have all the process at 90nm (more cpus per wafer). The fact that the FX55 and 4000+ are at 130nm suggests either AMD are having Prescott like problems or they are merely being ultra cautious and gently breaking into 90nm technology by running lower frequency cpus at this size and once they have built up operational knowledge of the process ramping up to the faster frequencies. It could well be these early 90nm cpus overclock like champs but I highly doubt it.

Maybe they are just waiting for the upcoming barrage of new performance chipsets aka NForce 4 CK8-04, the ATI RX480 chipset and those offerings from Via coinside with the full scale launch of cooler running higher clocked CPU, but who cares for the FX anyway since its so expensive.....

OC Detective said:
Yes it would make economic sense to have all the process at 90nm (more cpus per wafer). The fact that the FX55 and 4000+ are at 130nm suggests either AMD are having Prescott like problems or they are merely being ultra cautious and gently breaking into 90nm technology by running lower frequency cpus at this size and once they have built up operational knowledge of the process ramping up to the faster frequencies. It could well be these early 90nm cpus overclock like champs but I highly doubt it.

thats assuming AMD has unlimited 90nm fab space.

gota remember they can only produce so many 90nm cpus, and they cant just abandon their 130nm lines.

...and maybe they just have lots of 130nm cores leftover that can do 4000+ speeds easy...

xtrmeocr said:

gota remember they can only produce so many 90nm cpus, and they cant just abandon their 130nm lines.

Isn't that exactly the reason to have FX55 and 4000 be manufactured on the 90nm fab? (By all reason it SHOULD clock higher and demand will be lower for a high end item...) I think OCDet has a good point, it certainly is a bit strange thing to do.

Also even if 90nm does OC like a champ, arent the s939 3200+ (initial ones)gonna be 2GHz? As in multiplier locked at 10? Any 939 mobos doing anywhere near 300 MHz?

xtrmeocr said:

There is no constraint to how many can be made - it is all about how they set up their machines AFTER the 200mm wafer has been fabricated - doesnt matter if its 90nm or 130nm the only constraint is in tooling the equipment once thats paid for (which it obviously is) the only constraint is set up - they have more than ample capacity in Dresden to facilitate this. Yes they cant abandon the 90nm business (just like 180nm Duron remained after 130nm XP came out) but AMD are market pushing (on 939s) and not being demand pulled. If AMD has a reason for only pushing out a few lower end models at 90nm it is not due to space constraints as that would suggest inappropriate business planning (spend all the millions on tooling and R&D for 90nm yet dont maximise the return on investment from the greater number of cpus per die because of space constraints?).

mata2974 said:

adding to what i said earlier.. this makes it sound more like there is a problem with yields for high speed/low heat parts. I mean if you have a new smaller process, wouldnt you want to launch with a lot of fanfare and highest speed parts? Something doesnt add up here.

billy_cat said:
Isn't that exactly the reason to have FX55 and 4000 be manufactured on the 90nm fab? (By all reason it SHOULD clock higher and demand will be lower for a high end item...) I think OCDet has a good point, it certainly is a bit strange thing to do.

Also even if 90nm does OC like a champ, arent the s939 3200+ (initial ones)gonna be 2GHz? As in multiplier locked at 10? Any 939 mobos doing anywhere near 300 MHz?

no, the FX is hardly a big seller at all, they probably have more then enough binned 130nm chips to fit the demand for a FX-55 two times over.

Back