• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow RAID boot up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

purplepots

Registered
Recently I implemented a raid0 with 2 WD HD's. Now, my boot up is considerably faster however that gain is offset a lot by the fact the RAID card takes a long time to start up.
Is it normal for the Promise Fasttrak100 raid card to take about 20-30 seconds to "scan ide hard drives"?

and

Is there anyway possible to speed this process up? IMO, it takes a ridiculously long and unnecessary time to start...

Thanks

Vio1 said:
20-30 seconds seems exessive.

So is that abnormal?

IS there anyway whatsoever to fix it?

I have already installed the latest drivers and and bios from the Promise website.

Last edited:
I would check out some settings in the bios.

For example if your ide delay/timeout is set to 10 seconds that's 9 seconds more that you have to wait, if you catch my drift. Also, disable any ports or settings you don't need/use.

urbancontra said:
I would check out some settings in the bios.

For example if your ide delay/timeout is set to 10 seconds that's 9 seconds more that you have to wait, if you catch my drift. Also, disable any ports or settings you don't need/use.

Could you be a little more specific about the areas I could disable?
Also, from this are you implying there is nothing I can do to reduce the RAID bios boot time?

Anybody know?
Somebody else here MUST have also owned the Promise Fasttrak100 or some other similar card....

I've done quite a bit of research on this topic and have found some possible solutions involving using a hacked bios. I think one of them is named "lumberjack" although I can't seem to find any places to download them. I'm pretty sure there are others out there, but I have yet to find them.

If anybody has gone through this before or any ideas/advice, any help would be appreciated...
I could sure use help locating these files.

Thanks again

card is gonna be slower than on a mobo..thats why I wouldnt do it that way..

plus its limmited by pci bus... :-/

How do you have your HDDs setup on the RAID card?

If you have them setup for CableSelect, try setting them up as Singles on separate chains and have only those drives on the FastTrax. I have the same problem on one of my servers but I ignore it because i hardly ever reboot that thing :)

Good luck.

Foxy

FireFox said:
How do you have your HDDs setup on the RAID card?

If you have them setup for CableSelect, try setting them up as Singles on separate chains and have only those drives on the FastTrax. I have the same problem on one of my servers but I ignore it because i hardly ever reboot that thing :)

Good luck.

Foxy

I already have them set up on different cables, although both are still in Cable Select jumper settings. Not sure if changing that will do anything but I will try changing it anyways...

Thanks for the tip!

Back