• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many pins in the floppy port?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maze

Registered
The slot to plug in the floppy seems to be missing 2-4 pins..is this normal? My floppy drive isn't working and was wondering if my motherboard was my problem.

Thanks in advance

Well it's normally a 34 pin format, but can have one of the corner pins missing and one of the middle pins missing.

It is possible that you are trying to use the wrong cable, or the wrong header. IDE cables are 40 pins and will not work with a floppy drive. (Okay I'm 1337 so I could get one to work, but I don't feel like typing 2 or 3 pages to explain how and why) There are often headers on motherboards for alternate front panel connectors, for modem risers, or other feature connectors (audio, video etc etc) that look like a floppy port, but aren't.

Another possibility is that you have an LS120 A: drive, which is an IDE device not a floppy controller device and therefore will have a 40 pin IDE interface.

regards,

Road Warrior

The floppy has it's own cable..it fits in the floppy slot on my msi neo2 plat mobo..but the floppy isn't working anyway. Was just wondering the fact that there are about 3 or so pins missing could be the problem.

Wonder if it's just the floppy drive itself...

Check the orientation of the connector. There's some *cough* guides and manuals and even Aplus texts out there that say "The red stripe is PIN 1 and ALWAYS goes next to the power connector" Well, I've seen enough drives to know this is BS, there's some where it's the other side. Look on the PCB of the floppy there should be markings near the header to indicate the pin orientation. You'll either find the end pin marked, 1, or 34, or you might see an arrow or a dot to indicate pin 1. Also remember the end of the cable with the twist in, goes at the drive end of the connector.

Back