• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refridgerated PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bullterror

Registered
I'm about to put my computer in the deep freeze to lower the ambient temp (which is somewhat of an understatement.) I have thought about all the ramifications of what I'm about to do, but I wanted to know if anyone else has done this before. I think this is the only form of supercooling that will not result in a condensation problem because the coils are colder then the pc and take all the condensation. As long as I slowly warm the PC when I bring it out of the deep freeze, there shouldn't be a condensation problem.

I guess it ought to be all right - just keep an eye on it for a while, and make sure the heat from the comp doesn't melt any of the ice in the freezer - or if it does, that the water doesn't reach the comp at all. Could be an interesting experiment, I know some people in very cold places like Siberia or wherever have put their comps outside before, that's effectively doing the same things as you are.

Even so, I'd still watch every bit of the comp very closely... and good luck! :)

bullterror said:
I'm about to put my computer in the deep freeze to lower the ambient temp (which is somewhat of an understatement.) I have thought about all the ramifications of what I'm about to do, but I wanted to know if anyone else has done this before. I think this is the only form of supercooling that will not result in a condensation problem because the coils are colder then the pc and take all the condensation. As long as I slowly warm the PC when I bring it out of the deep freeze, there shouldn't be a condensation problem.
Been there, done that. Use a hair dryer on the MoBo when you take it our, or else you will get water under anything that is BGA mounted, and inside the ZIF socket.

No!STOP@once!
U need chemistry for that!

1st condesation on cold surface!
2nd too cold will become v. horrible
3rd if BIOS only detect range of tempo from 10C-100C, aqnd the temperature is -12, the BIOS may get spiolt!

so try water cooling!

I don´t know what system you are about to put into you refigerator, but I´m quite sure that the fridge will not be able to hold the temps down. A Fridge has already a hard time when you open it for some time, and thats nothings compared to the amount off heat that a modern system radiates. I believe the cooling unit of the fridge will not survive this for long as it is not designed to work non stop.
Just my opinion!

Why not cycle air between the freezer and the case using some ducting? The freezer won't maintain temperature for long, but it will keep case temps and therefore cpu temps down for an hour or two probably. Even then it should be able to cool down the air below or closer to ambient.

Refigerator PC

I've seen this done a couple of times before. I even asked about it on this forum once. If you do a search, you'll find it. Most of the ones I've seen are done in dorm sized refrigerators so that the freezer plate can be used to make things REALLY cold. Like I said, do a search on this forum for "refrigerator", and you're bound to find it.

yah, i emailed those guys a couple of weeks ago to get some additional information (like benchmarks etc) but never heard any word back.

perty slick little setup though. nice and clean, i like it.

Back